Is there a way to go from 4.2.1 to 4.3?

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by pego99, Nov 28, 2012.

1. pego99

pego99
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My iPad 1 is jb and I have the 4.3 blobs but running 4.2.1. Can I do this without losing my jb and all my apps etc?

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there a reason why you don't want to upgrade all the way to iOS 5.1.1?

3. Fid

Fid
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Hi, you'll have to follow the directions in the jailbreak (hacking) forum section to install the 4.3 iOS. When you do it is going to take away your jailbreak, so, you'll have to jailbreak again. Before I upgraded to 5.1.1 I took screen shots of all of my icons, especially the jailbreak ones, and a snapshot of the Settings app showing the section of the jailbreak tweaks. I copied those to my computer so I could reference them. Then I copied my Winterboard folder so I would still have the theme I put together. I have yet to find a utility that will save the data from certain jailbreak apps. You reinstall the app from cydia and the game saves or settings are no longer there. There may be an ap for that but I haven't found it.
    I though long and hard about upgrading to 5.1.1. I went for it so I could upgrade two of my iTunes music apps. I don't have many cydia apps and tweaks, so it wasn't much of a bother. One of the groovy things about the purchased apps from cydia is they are registered that I purchased them. I didn't have to remember the paid for apps, nor pay for them again. I just re-downloaded them.
    My iPad 1 is wifi only and 32gb.

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. pego99

pego99
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:

I thought to go to 5.1.1 would involve having to install all my apps over again and the whole structure of the 64GB of stuff 75% is JB stuff. Am I wrong/

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Once you've removed the jailbreak, you upgrade and the iTunes content is automatically re-installed on your iPad. You may have to re-install the apps and tweaks from Cydia separately, after you jailbreak on iOS 5.1.1.

7. pego99

pego99
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    How do I un-jailbreak 4.2.1 on ipad 1?

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Once you've connected your iPad to iTunes on your computer, click on restore in iTunes. If there are no problems, you should end up with your iPad un jailbroken and running on iOS 5.1.1. You can then re-jailbreak. Once jailbroken, you can re-download your Cydia apps and tweaks.

9. pego99

pego99
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I thought that I have to remove the JB before the restore in itunes. How do I remove the JB first? You say if there are no problems, what kind of problems are we talking about?

10. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have a look at this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=26399

While it talks about older firmware, the process is the same. The key here is to do backups and to put your iPad1 into DFU mode before upgrading. Again, the instructions are quite detailed. Give it a try?

Marilyn