What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a Text Highlighter .....

SONY007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that works well with the iPad ? I was trying to find an app that allows you to highlight parts of text in different colours on PDF, the web or anything with text basically, as you would do on a hardcopy format. I've heard of Goodreader but haven't tried as yet.

Thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Goodreader. There are others, but this the one I can recommend because I use it everyday.

OP
S

SONY007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just installed this app and I have to say it's pretty impressive at first glance.

AQ_OC as you use this app everyday maybe you would know if you can also annotate web pages as well as pdf's and also how do you remove an annotation once you have say highlighted a text and you want to remove the highlight?

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can also highlight text with Pages. I think it is free with the new iPad Air. I purchased it when I got my iPad two years ago, but I think it would have been free on my new iPad Air. It is greatly improved and it is a great app. I move things over to Goodreader for the file folders to organize my docs. But both of these apps highlight text.

To dehighlight, just select that text again and select to dehighlight.

You can convert web pages to PDF with a great app called WEB to PDF that I use all the time. You can then highlight that text as it is now a PDF document.

OP
S

SONY007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After playing around with Goodreader I can clearly see how useful this app is also as caq stated WEB to PDF is great. I still have that same issue though but I am making some ground...I think. When I click on a word to and then click on the abc in the white box on the tool bar the word is highlighted but when I do it this way I simply cannot find an option to remove the highlight.

The other method I used was by clicking on a word then the main menu button on the tool bar then anywhere on the screen to bring up the right hand side tool bar and again i'll click on the abc in the white box and this will bring up a the highlight options and change of highlight colour at the top of the screen. When I use this method I do get the option to undo when I highlight a word but if I highlight a word and click save again I cannot find a way to undo highlight thereafter.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SONY007,

I PM'ed you. But, as for highlighting web pages on the web page, I don't think you can, I tried it on a couple web pages I got just randomly and could not do it. I think that is what you want to do, correct?

Maybe some websites will let you highlight their text, I don't know, but the ones I tried, left as web pages, you can't highlight the text directly on that website. It seems to me, someone putting info on the web is not going to allow any editing of that info. Have you been able to do it before with other devices?

I could be wrong; just my guess. Maybe someone else will chime in that has more know,edge than I do.

OP
S

SONY007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No after your advice about WEB to PDF I used that method but I still wasn't able to delete the highlight once saved.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would not highlight until you open the PDF created from the web page using WEB to PDF in Goodreader. Then when you highlight the text in Goodreader you are prompted to save it in that document, or save an annotated copy. I would opt to save it to an annotated copy, leaving your original copy as is. Then to remove the highlight in Goodreader, if you want to, you just select the highlighted text and click the "delete"'option. It deletes the highlight, not the text. It will ask if you really want to delete the highlight or not.

Don't highlight the text while you are still in WEB to PDF. Open the PDF you created in Goodreader and do your highlighting there. Remember, even though you opened that document in Goodreader, if you go back into WEB to PDF, you will find it is still there in its un-highlighted state, unless you deleted it. Does this help?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts