Is the screen really that much worse than ipad 2 screen?

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by Tapmyapple, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I own an iPad mini and I see no problems with the screen at all.

2. zstairlessone

zstairlessone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    The resolution is higher than the iPad 2, not quite as high as the 3 & 4. Still a great screen

3. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The mini has exactly the same resolution as the iPad2 but with smaller pixels, it seems sharper than the 2.

4. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I compared my iPad mini screen with an iPad 2 at Best Buy and my screen has a crisper appearance.

5. lisa22

lisa22
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I find it to be fine. Maybe there's a difference in a side by side comparison, but in actual use, its perfect. I had a kindle fire hd and took it back. (for other reasons) but that screen actually gave me headaches.

6. lisa22

lisa22
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I had the kindle fire hd for a month before returning it. It has a great hd picture and sound but that's all it has so it went back. One hour with the mini and I don't even notice the difference anymore.

7. marcandsebe

marcandsebe
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You better be careful or you'll have a Android community backlash for being an Apple Fanboy HaHa!! I played around a number of times with the Fire HD, but ordered a iPad Mini. I just know it will work and work very well at that.

8. Toyeboy

Toyeboy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    How does text look if you're coming from a retina display iPad? I read a lot on websites and play games but I really do not like the heft and bulk of my full sized iPad.

9. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:

If there's an Apple Store or Best Buy near you, it's best to take your iPad retina with you and compare side by side.

This is a screen cap of a page from a novel stored in my iPad 2. The mini's resolution is slightly better than the 2 because of the smaller screen and increased pixel density.

Hope it helps.

AA

image-2396559065.jpg

Sent from my iPad using iPF

10. JewelGarden

JewelGarden
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Toyeboy-
    I got an iPad 3 in March and love the excellent retina screen, particularly for reading books and magazines and websites with tiny print. However, I wanted a lighter, smaller form factor for everyday mobility. I do notice that text on the mini is not as sharp as the retina screen. It's okay for brief reading like email or a few minutes spent reading at lunch, but I prefer the 3 for long reading sessions. That said, the portability of the mini, it's excellent sound and very good screen make me very happy with it. I use both daily. I'm over sixty and work long days in front of a computer screen, so my eyes are often tired even before I start to read for fun in the evening. The retina screen on the 3 definitely helps me, but your experience may be different.

Only you can decide if a mini will do what you want it to do. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.