What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the screen really that much worse than ipad 2 screen?

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had ordered an ipad Mini, canceled and just reordered again a couple of days ago. I got the cellular version, 16GB. I have an ipad 4 too, but that will be used mainly at home.

The screen on the Mini is fine, from what I've seen. I think the portability factor will more than make up for the lack of a Retina screen.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The screen looked good at the apple store to me. Seemed a bit lighter than my 3 also. I think that makes it perfect for reading, movies, YouTube and stuff laying in bed where the weight of the 3 gets to me.

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen looked good at the apple store to me. Seemed a bit lighter than my 3 also. I think that makes it perfect for reading, movies, YouTube and stuff laying in bed where the weight of the 3 gets to me.

The ipad mini is half the weight of the ipad 3

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The real power of the mini is it's usability as a reader. I read all my books on my iThings and find it greatly easier on the mini than on my maxipad (iPad3 Retina).

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The real power of the mini is it's usability as a reader. I read all my books on my iThings and find it greatly easier on the mini than on my maxipad (iPad3 Retina).

Yeah after using a full sized iPad for a couple weeks and then using the mini for a few hours, I haven't picked the iPad back up yet that says something. The mini feels like it weighs nothing haha.

keithianw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, I am a huge Apple Fan. I have an Apple TV, Iphone 5, Ipad 2, and Ipad Mini which I received a few days ago. Anyway, I had purchased an Ipad 4, put it side by side next to my iPad 2. In some cases, I found websites loading faster on the iPad 2. Some video also was more clear on the iPad 2. The Ipad 4 sort of has the same problem that HD TVs have watching Standard Def Television. Yes, things are slightly faster, but is it really worth paying $600+ for a slightly faster anything when web browsing for a device that is heavier than the iPad 2? The Retina Display is so COMPLETELY overhyped. Big Deal, Text is slightly sharper. The average person wont even realize it if you gave them an Ipad 2 and Ipad 4 and didn't tell them which is which. If the iPad 4 was $200, I still wouldn't get it if I already had an iPad 2. Now the mini felt like a totally different product. It was so much more friendly to type with and hold in the hand and seemed the ideal size for reading. The screen is sharp enough with better speakers. Don't waste money on something that is only slightly better in actual common use and ignore geeky benchmarks that are irrelevant to most people.

Last edited:

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In some cases, I found websites loading faster on the iPad 2. Some video also was more clear on the iPad 2. The Ipad 4 sort of has the same problem that HD TVs have watching Standard Def Television. Yes, things are slightly faster, but is it really worth paying $600+ for a slightly faster anything when web browsing for a device that is heavier than the iPad 2? The Retina Display is so COMPLETELY overhyped. Big Deal, Text is slightly sharper. The average person wont even realize it if you gave them an Ipad 2 and Ipad 4 and didn't tell them which is which..

This is reassuring. A few days ago I had thought about returning my iPad 2 for an iPad 4 because of the better screen; although, when I checked out an iPad 4 at Best Buy I couldn't tell much of a difference from my iPad 2 (I didn't have them side-by-side, though). I was actually more impressed with the iPad Mini because of the size. So I think I will just stick with my iPad 2, and then may buy an iPad Mini when it comes out with a retina screen.

keithianw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is reassuring. A few days ago I had thought about returning my iPad 2 for an iPad 4 because of the better screen; although, when I checked out an iPad 4 at Best Buy I couldn't tell much of a difference from my iPad 2 (I didn't have them side-by-side, though). I was actually more impressed with the iPad Mini because of the size. So I think I will just stick with my iPad 2, and then may buy an iPad Mini when it comes out with a retina screen.

Exactly :). I edited my post above. I meant I wouldn't get an ipad 4 if you had an ipad 2. I accidentally had typed I wouldn't get an iPad 4 if you had an iPad 4 lol.

oleyellabuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read for about 2 hours today on my mini and it was an absolute pleasure. I love the light weight of this thing. It's always with me now. I think the screen is just fine. Would retina be better? Sure. But, both my mini and my non-retina Macbook still look great in my opinion. Retina is like orgasmic, non-retina Apple displays are merely high quality. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
oleyellabuck said:
I read for about 2 hours today on my mini and it was an absolute pleasure. I love the light weight of this thing. It's always with me now. I think the screen is just fine. Would retina be better? Sure. But, both my mini and my non-retina Macbook still look great in my opinion. Retina is like orgasmic, non-retina Apple displays are merely high quality. :)

A retina display mini would enable you to see finer detail on the screen, such as small print. Letters will appear sharper.

Most reactions