What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the screen really that much worse than ipad 2 screen?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 2 has a pixel density of 132 pixels per inch and the Mini has, I believe, 163 pixels per inch. The Retina display on the 3rd and 4th gen iPad is 264 pixels per inch. This means the Mini isn't Retina, but is better than the iPad2

marcandsebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The pixels per inch are more than the iPad 2, so it's slightly better. I have an iPad 2 and think the screen is fine for browsing the web, watching YouTube and Netflix. Movies are fine too. I think people are a bit obsessed with screen displays.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The pixels per inch are more than the iPad 2, so it's slightly better. I have an iPad 2 and think the screen is fine for browsing the web, watching YouTube and Netflix. Movies are fine too. I think people are a bit obsessed with screen displays.

Actually, I don't think people are obsessed. Apple started the whole thing and it has proven to be a feature people want. Now that it is showing up on $200 tablets, people expect it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am quite pleased with the Mini's screen. I just put a library book on it and am using it as a reader. Yes, the screen is not as clear as my iPad3, but it's perfectly fine as an e-reader. I have the font relatively small and the background is sepia. Yes, when I hold the Mini right up to my face, the type isn't clear (it's jagged/fuzzy). But, when I hold the Mini closer to my lap in a more natural reading position, the type is fine (quite legible, in fact).

Me happy Mini purchaser ... more and more! :)

Marilyn

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I own an iPad mini and I see no problems with the screen at all.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
I own an iPad mini and I see no problems with the screen at all.

The resolution is higher than the iPad 2, not quite as high as the 3 & 4. Still a great screen

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The mini has exactly the same resolution as the iPad2 but with smaller pixels, it seems sharper than the 2.

Agreed. I compared my iPad mini screen with an iPad 2 at Best Buy and my screen has a crisper appearance.

lisa22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it to be fine. Maybe there's a difference in a side by side comparison, but in actual use, its perfect. I had a kindle fire hd and took it back. (for other reasons) but that screen actually gave me headaches.

lisa22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the kindle fire hd for a month before returning it. It has a great hd picture and sound but that's all it has so it went back. One hour with the mini and I don't even notice the difference anymore.

marcandsebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the kindle fire hd for a month before returning it. It has a great hd picture and sound but that's all it has so it went back. One hour with the mini and I don't even notice the difference anymore.

You better be careful or you'll have a Android community backlash for being an Apple Fanboy HaHa!! I played around a number of times with the Fire HD, but ordered a iPad Mini. I just know it will work and work very well at that.

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does text look if you're coming from a retina display iPad? I read a lot on websites and play games but I really do not like the heft and bulk of my full sized iPad.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Toyeboy said:
How does text look if you're coming from a retina display iPad? I read a lot on websites and play games but I really do not like the heft and bulk of my full sized iPad.

If there's an Apple Store or Best Buy near you, it's best to take your iPad retina with you and compare side by side.

This is a screen cap of a page from a novel stored in my iPad 2. The mini's resolution is slightly better than the 2 because of the smaller screen and increased pixel density.

Hope it helps.

AA

image-2396559065.jpg

Sent from my iPad using iPF

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Toyeboy said:

Toyeboy-
I got an iPad 3 in March and love the excellent retina screen, particularly for reading books and magazines and websites with tiny print. However, I wanted a lighter, smaller form factor for everyday mobility. I do notice that text on the mini is not as sharp as the retina screen. It's okay for brief reading like email or a few minutes spent reading at lunch, but I prefer the 3 for long reading sessions. That said, the portability of the mini, it's excellent sound and very good screen make me very happy with it. I use both daily. I'm over sixty and work long days in front of a computer screen, so my eyes are often tired even before I start to read for fun in the evening. The retina screen on the 3 definitely helps me, but your experience may be different.

Only you can decide if a mini will do what you want it to do. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Most reactions

Latest posts