What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my iPad screen dead, or is it worse than that?

bhowell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 has suddenly stopped responding. I had put it to sleep by closing the cover, and when I opened it, the screen was black. There have been no drops or other obvious mistreatment.

So I held down the power button, ostensibly to shut it down. No response. Held down the button again, ostensibly to start it up: no response. Tried that many times with same result. Charged the iPad overnight. Still no response (and no little chime sound that usually happens when I plug in to AC power).

iTunes can see the iPad, so maybe the screen is dead. But with the absence of all responses of any kind, I'm wondering whether it's worse than that.

I'm running iOS 7.0.4, so I suppose I could update to 7.0.6 and see if that helps, but since updates can be dodgy, I thought I'd save that as a last resort. (And yes, my AppleCare coverage is history.)

Any thoughts?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try resetting your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, release both and let the iPad power up.

If this doesn't help, restore it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Last edited:
OP
B

bhowell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Johanna. That did it. Simple thing to do, but unless one knows that approach, all seems to be lost. But now it's found.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Johanna. That did it. Simple thing to do, but unless one knows that approach, all seems to be lost. But now it's found.

Glad that Johanna's suggestion 'cured' your problem! But, I would suggest that you update iOS to 7.0.6 (info HERE) - this addresses an issue w/ SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) which encrypts data being transferred over a Wi-Fi network - this has been a security issue for Apple for a while, both in iOS and OS X (just updated my Mac computers which addressed the same problem) - this update is particularly important if you use wireless public networks (like Starbucks) - w/o the SSL issue corrected, your wireless signals could be 'captured' and used by a hacker/cracker (think of personal data, credit card numbers, etc.). Just a suggestion and good luck - Dave :)

Most reactions