What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to track and record geographical movement?

ramon82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to track and record geographical movement?

Hi all - we will be supplying our sales reps with new ipads soon and I wish to know if it is possible to track their movement around the city while their tablet is offline ie: is it possible that the tablets record the movement via its internal GPS module and records it for future reference? or is there an app for this?

Thanks a lot

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out MotionX GPS HD. It can record tracks, automatically send location info by email, store maps and waypoints and a whole lot more.

It continues to record track information while minimized so it should fit your bill. It doesn't need 3G or wifi to operate, although you have to download your maps ahead of time if you are not going to stay online.

I use it every day, and I've barely scratched the surface of possibilities.

It costs $2, by the way.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a screenshot from a run I did a few weeks back. The blue line is my real time track.

image-4067443076.jpg

Sent from my stock iPad 2

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the run I'm doing right now. The blue line shows my progress. The yellow waypoints are the places I've already set up, but haven't reached yet.

As you can see, there are different mapping options. The first screenshot was a winter road job, so I was more interested in the satellite image. This one shows the roads, and trails that I'm using.

image-3199396566.jpg

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a recorded track. It gives great detail, and saves the track when the real time track is erased.

image-2516462603.jpg

image-3196970752.jpg

Most reactions