What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IDC forecast: Android tablets are going to surpass the iPad

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
idc-chart-130312.jpg

It has been stated over and over again that the iPad is one of the most successful tech pieces to ever be put on the market to date. The Apple tablet has broken every record possible and has accounted for an impressive amount of sales worldwide. But according to new research presented by IDC, Android tablets will finally surpass the iPad for the first time in history.

In recent terms, Apple’s iPad has found itself competing with smaller and much cheaper Android tablets, like for example, the extremely popular Amazon Kindle Fire. International Data Corporation predicts that iPad shipments are going to continue to expa​​nd at a decent rate, but Cupertino’s big competitors like Samsung will continue to deliver deadly hits by taking up a lot of the international tech market.

The IDC report sees the Android party snatching 48.8% of the total tablet shipment for the year in 2013, while the iPad comes in at number two with 46%. Cupertino had 51% last year, but apparently customers are moving from higher-end products to more accessible devices. IDC goes on to showcase the numbers for the year 2017 where we still see Android as being the market leader with 46% and iOS the runner up with 43.5%. Maybe the greater variety Android users are faced with when choosing a tablet had to do with the predictions made by IDC.

The research also takes up in account Windows 8 tablets which are forecasted to hold only 7.4% of the market in 2017 and a meager 2.8% in 2013. Windows RT tablets, however, will apparently fare even worse, being awarded just 2.7% in 2017. The tablet future seems bleak for Microsoft.

Source: AppleInsider

Last edited by a moderator:

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These figures don't include the mini, do they? Lol.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I sold a android tablet today 4 gb ssd or some thing similar running outdated android software ... whoooooo be lucky if it works all for $110 Australian this a a Chinese have i got a deal for you tablet. This type of tablet sells to unsuspecting users by the truck load and they are part of androids circus that add numbers. I told the buyer this is real basic. Response was well better than a overprice Samsung or apple product. I rest my case

Callihan_44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree android is a strong contender in tablets, and definately the leader in phones. I know many people that replaced laptops-desktops this past holiday season with tablets and all of them were androids(mainly due to price). I was seriously tempted by the asus transformer, but in the end I still preferred the ipad mini for my needs.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree android is a strong contender in tablets, and definately the leader in phones. I know many people that replaced laptops-desktops this past holiday season with tablets and all of them were androids(mainly due to price). I was seriously tempted by the asus transformer, but in the end I still preferred the ipad mini for my needs.

It's good that there is competition. I applaud the android tablets for stepping up their game which will require apple to do the same. The consumer is who wins here. I love my iPad but I'm glad there are other choices out there. Who knows, maybe next time around ill check out an android tablet? Probably not, but still glad they are out there.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad there's competition, and that there are affordable tablets for people of varying budgets, skills and uses.

As with all products, a buyer should do appropriate research to match his needs. If not, too bad for him/her.

Gerall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad there's competition, and that there are affordable tablets for people of varying budgets, skills and uses.

As with all products, a buyer should do appropriate research to match his needs. If not, too bad for him/her.

The unfortunate downside of my research, is that neither iOS nor androids met all of my nice to haves. So I did the unspeakable, I bought an ipad4 and a Samsung galaxy 2 7.0 unlocked.

Now I have the best of both worlds.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The unfortunate downside of my research, is that neither iOS nor androids met all of my nice to haves. So I did the unspeakable, I bought an ipad4 and a Samsung galaxy 2 7.0 unlocked.

Now I have the best of both worlds.

That's just how things work out -- big companies mass manufacture for the best possible demographic for their sales; that doesn't mean any device will necessarily meet any buyer's every need.

I don't know what's unspeakable about buying across platforms. Many of us do to meet our individual needs and preferences.

I've got two iPads, two Kindle Fire HDs, a Samsung Galaxy Note 5", a Samsung Galaxy 7", an iPhone 4S and an iPod touch 5, all of which I enjoy for diff reasons.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad is the tablet choice for me, for phones on the other hand I have to go with android.

Most reactions

Latest posts