What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to connect the ipad to a tv screen WITHOUT having to use iTunes?

Clarkeaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, this is a pretty basic question but I'm not particularly clued up about this stuff yet. I've got an ipad 2 and I'd like to know if there's a way to connect the ipad to the tv screen as would be possible with a standard laptop?
We've got films on the ipad and can watch episodes through various websites but iTunes film and tv shows are either limited, expensive and, in the case of tv shows, way behind what's been aired.
Keen to know if the adapters out there need to use iTunes for them to be viewed on the tv screen or not, I've heard lots of different things.
Realise its a basic question but any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

OP
C

Clarkeaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to connect the ipad to a tv screen WITHOUT having to use iTunes?
Hi, this is a pretty basic question but I'm not particularly clued up aboutIs it possible to connect the ipad to a tv screen WITHOUT having to use iTunes?
Hi, this is a pretty basic question but I'm not particularly clued up about this stuff yet. I've got an ipad 2 and I'd like to know if there's a way to connect the ipad to the tv screen as would be possible with a standard laptop?
We've got films on the ipad and can watch episodes through various websites but iTunes film and tv shows are either limited, expensive and, in the case of tv shows, way behind what's been aired.
Keen to know if the adapters out there need to use iTunes for them to be viewed on the tv screen or not, I've heard lots of different things.
Thanks
this stuff yet. I've got an ipad 2 and I'd like to know if there's a way to connect the ipad to the tv screen as would be possible with a standard laptop?
Thanks

Frankie Williams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please check out the Google Chrome device for $35. All of the commercials show an iPad on them. Apparently, this happens via Bluetooth.

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got an ipad 2 ..... I'd like to know if there's a way to connect the ipad to the tv screen as would be possible with a standard laptop?[/QUOTE said:
Apple TV and Airplay for any 3G iPad or better. For your 2G you'll need a special cable., the HDMI adaptor, I believe. Kind of a double dongle thing, which will take an HDMI cable in one socket.

OP
C

Clarkeaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but doesn't Apple TV only work for iTunes, Netflix, etc?
Would the hdmi adaptor just let me connect it to the tv so the screen is visible on the tv? I'm really really new to all this so sorry to sound so simple

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have a second generation iPad. You need the cable. You don't need the Apple TV. For any iPad newer that yours, the Apple TV essentially replace the cable.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
..............I've got an ipad 2 and I'd like to know if there's a way to connect the ipad to the tv screen as would be possible with a standard laptop?

What kind of TV do you own? A flat panel w/ an HDMI connection is your best choice. I have an iPad 2 and have used the adapter shown below - the black cable is the HDMI one that goes to the appropriate input on the HDTV; the white cable is the standard 30-pin charger to provide power if needed. With the TV set to the right input, the iPad's screen is mirrored onto the TV. Let us know if this is the information desired? Good luck - Dave :)

ipad_2_hdmi_adapter.jpg

OP
C

Clarkeaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I thought the chrome device only works with stuff you have to pay for, basically i want to know if we can watch our own media from the ipad on the tv monitor without being limited by iTunes, Netflix, etc.
The device you mentioned is the kind of thing we're trying to avoid

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Clarkeaw - welcome to the forum! :) Now, you've left a duplicate post in another thread/forum - bad forum etiquette and against the rules here; responses are fragmented and postings can be confusing! Dave P.S. - see my post in your other identical thread.

Welsh Gas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
C

Clarkeaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh sorry I'm really wasn't sure which forum I should be in, won't happen again

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image-1790426902.jpg

30 pin connector goes to iPad, HDMI goes to TV and the female 30 pin connector by the HDMI is to hook up the power cable to allow charging while using the adapter.

Although I now use my Apple TV and stream wireless to the TV from the iPad

Attachments

• image-2855406454.jpg
    image-2855406454.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 515

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

As Giradman has pointed out to you, our Rules on this forum only allow for 1 thread to be opened on any one issue/question. I have now merged your 2 threads so as to keep all this info you have been given together in the 1 thread.

Please be mindful of this in future.

Good luck with your issue!

Jacksonjack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good publish that you have been published. I am completely believe the fact and want to say thanks to you for your this goodness. Actually I really like to know about that and also fascinated to study such things. Thanks once again

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts