Is it just me or does IPAD2 camera really stink?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by happyhack3r, Mar 24, 2011.

1. happyhack3r

happyhack3r iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Um.. sorry if I used the word stink.. should I use under-performanced? ^^

Ok anyway..

I know that Ipad2 has a big screen, so the pictures may look pixelated..

but... it just looks downright way toooo pixelated.

I haven't done the research, isn't it at least 3megapixels at least?

I just got my IPAD2 and... the camera isn't so good...

I thought from the ipad 2 slideshow in the retail store, that all pictures would be like that.. hehe

Anyway... is there something wrong with mine or is it all like that?

there seems to be no settings for camera TT

and before you guys throw rocks at my stupidity,
    please read what it says below my username-

I think it goes something like ipad nooobie ^^

thanks!!!

2. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    iPad 2 cameras

The rear camera is rated 720p at 30 frames per second. This is video. The front camera is rated at VGA quality. This was provided for video conferencing via FaceTime ... sharing video apple device to apple device. That's it.

Stills are lower grade. Apple did not intend those cameras for still photo of any particular quality. Thus no lights, no focus. Again, that's it.
    Many are complaining and wanting much better cameras. I believe the thinner case makes a better camera difficult for now while keeping costs down.
    Actually, photos taken on standard digital cameras look great on the ipads.

3. kevbo

kevbo iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, it stinks. It's nice to have the front one for FaceTime (even though I haven't used it), but I'm not sure of the purpose of the rear camera. It is less than one megapixel. I don't care about it really, but you'd think Apple would have used one that looked decent on the iPad's screen as it wouldn't be too difficult to do so considering it's comparatively low resolution to modern computer screens. It's comparable to a five year old feature phone camera IMO

4. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Since the video is better than the still capture with the rear camera, wouldn't it be possible to look through the frames, grab one you like and use that as a still shot? If so, is there an app that can easily do that?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

5. Tarkio

Tarkio iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It wouldn't look good for still shots. HD video is fairly low resolution compared to still photography. Images changing at 30 fps help create an illusion of more resolution when viewed on a video display. 720p HD video is less than 1 megapixel per frame, crummy for still photography. Even 1080p HD video is only about 2 megapixels per frame.

So the iPad's camera can achieve 720p resolution (less than 1 megapixel), but not decent still photo images compared to modern digital cameras that are usually at least 10 - 12 megapixels with adjustable focus.

6. zipur

zipur iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    SJ suckered us with the bad camera. However maybe the question is How Much More Are You Willing To Pay for a 8m camera. Would you use it all the time or... would you, should you use the wonderfull Iphone camera which is always in your pocket. In any case I think the Ipad 3 will have a good camera, thats the apple way.

7. Twism86

Twism86 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea the cameras arent great but I dont think they are a huge selling point, especially the rear. The front was a must upgrade to be competitive with video calling and you always see low quality cameras for that purpose so that is up to par.

As for the rear camera... Who wants to take pics or vid with a 10'' tablet? Its awkward at best. Maybe ill use it to snap pics around the house an email them if i need too. For actual picture taking, nope.

8. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Who really wants a camera on a tablet? I mean for taking serious pictures. That's what cameras are for.

9. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I actually DO want some kind of camera on my iPad. I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's hella convenient when you really need a camera-any camera-and the ONLY thing you have with you is your iPad. It's happened to me enough times to wish there was a camera on my iPad. As crappy as the camera is on the iPad 2, I'm happy it's coming my way.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

10. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Trouble is the iPad is so thin there's no space for proper lenses.
    You guys are expecting too much for basic cameras designed solely for FaceTime video.
    The front cam for example is the same VGA as standard webcams.

That said I've read the best way to maximise the quality of a single frame is to use an app and save it from a video clip.

11. AJsAWiz

AJsAWiz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The cameras look fine to me . . . Maybe because I had no expectations ;)

12. AJsAWiz

AJsAWiz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Valid point, well taken

13. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I mentioned this in a previous thread once before. When they release that iPod nano with the camera, I remember reading something from Apple stating that they didn't put a camera capable of still pictures in it because the smallest camera unit was simply too large for the iPod's case. Still image cameras are a completely different species from video cameras because of the hardware involved. I believe this was also the case with the iPad 2. I haven't seen anything officially from Apple, but I'm willing to bet their reasoning is somewhere along those same lines.
    I think it's funny how people are getting so mad over the camera's picture quality. Both cameras were intended for video and only video. The stills we get from these cameras are just screen grabs from a running video, basically.
    Fwiw, I've taken a few photos with the rear camera both indoors and outdoors and find the quality quite acceptable. It all depends on the ambient lighting.
    Quit complaining because you're not getting the results you want by trying to make something do what it wasn't ever intended to do.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  14. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Right. I'm just happy there's a camera at all on the iPad 2! I'm sure, with enough lighting, it can crank out acceptable photos for on-the-spot snaps or even barcode scanning. If I want to do any "serious" photography, I'll whip out my Canon DSLR or at least my EVO 4G, if I have either one of them with me at the moment (which makes the iPad camera interesting because it'll be convenient, seeing the iPad is with me pretty much all day long).

15. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Your opinion is just that ... if it stinks because you want something different, use a different camera. Apple created FaceTime for video sharing. The cameras are okay for that purpose.