What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad2 battery percentage does not update...at all

betweenthesedays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few days ago when I went to use my iPad after having charged it all night it showed the battery percentage at 97% and would not charge further. After turning it off all the way and then turning it back on I was able to get it to show the charge at 100% where it sat for the rest of the day even with heavy usage. Based upon my experience it should have read something in the 60s.

Later that evening I shut it off again and left it off for 20 minutes. When I turned it back on, it seemed to hang in start up before displaying text on the start up screen that I of course did not get a picture of, but seemed to indicate there were problems loading. I'd say it was on there for just a minute or so before the usual start up screen appeared and then it sat for an unusually long period of time before loading again. From there the battery percentage drained quickly and ended in the 50s. I was able to plug the iPad in that night and the battery charged as normal to 100% and then the usage percentage updated the next couple of days as normal.

This morning it was only at 91% after charging all night and when I unplugged/plugged back in it updated to 100% almost instantly where it has remained all day. My kids have played games, I've checked my email, etc. it should be at least in the 70s at this point based upon my previous experience. I've called Apple support because it is still covered by AppleCare until April. They were...not helpful. I got the spiel about the percentage only being an estimate and then he said something to the effect that he couldn't understand why I was calling. He suggested resetting my iPad without restoring from back up which I have done. There is no change. My iPad still thinks it is fully charged even though it's been in use all day. This isn't an estimate, this is fairy tale land territory. There's just no way that's even remotely accurate.

Is this a hardware issue? Should I make a Genius Bar appointment and drive an hour away to the Apple store to see if they can figure it out?

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
betweenthesedays said:
A few days ago when I went to use my iPad after having charged it all night it showed the battery percentage at 97% and would not charge further. After turning it off all the way and then turning it back on I was able to get it to show the charge at 100% where it sat for the rest of the day even with heavy usage. Based upon my experience it should have read something in the 60s.

Later that evening I shut it off again and left it off for 20 minutes. When I turned it back on, it seemed to hang in start up before displaying text on the start up screen that I of course did not get a picture of, but seemed to indicate there were problems loading. I'd say it was on there for just a minute or so before the usual start up screen appeared and then it sat for an unusually long period of time before loading again. From there the battery percentage drained quickly and ended in the 50s. I was able to plug the iPad in that night and the battery charged as normal to 100% and then the usage percentage updated the next couple of days as normal.

This morning it was only at 91% after charging all night and when I unplugged/plugged back in it updated to 100% almost instantly where it has remained all day. My kids have played games, I've checked my email, etc. it should be at least in the 70s at this point based upon my previous experience. I've called Apple support because it is still covered by AppleCare until April. They were...not helpful. I got the spiel about the percentage only being an estimate and then he said something to the effect that he couldn't understand why I was calling. He suggested resetting my iPad without restoring from back up which I have done. There is no change. My iPad still thinks it is fully charged even though it's been in use all day. This isn't an estimate, this is fairy tale land territory. There's just no way that's even remotely accurate.

Is this a hardware issue? Should I make a Genius Bar appointment and drive an hour away to the Apple store to see if they can figure it out?

I would close the settings app in the task bar and then go to Settings>Usage turn off Battery Percentage and turn back on. See if that changes things.

OP
B

betweenthesedays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
I would close the settings app in the task bar and then go to Settings>Usage turn off Battery Percentage and turn back on. See if that changes things.

I've tried that as well, but no change. Both the percentage and the little battery icon remain unchanged.

I did try powering it off for an extended time again tonight (more than twenty minutes) and that's the only way that makes any difference. It's down to 81% now, but it hasn't changed in quite a long time.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
B

betweenthesedays

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
B

betweenthesedays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did try running the battery down once iOS finally showed an accurate percentage/level on the battery indicator. I let it get down to 16% and then ran a full recharge with the app. It got to 100% the next morning where it stayed the whole day. I decided that it probably wouldn't let me charge it since the iPad thought it was fully charged (as did the app, naturally). It continued to say the battery was at 100% all during today (the second day) until just a few seconds ago when it updated to 21%.

It seems like iOS has no idea what's going on with the battery. Any ideas?

OP
B

betweenthesedays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update. It appears this may be a known issue post 6.0.1 software update. Mine was the second iPad @ the a Genius Bar tonight with the issue. The battery is just fine, it's most likely a firmware issue. They updated/reset my iPad again and if that doesn't fix it then it's probably a hardware issue. 6.0.2 is supposed to fix the problem that caused my firmware issue. Supposedly, anyway.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
betweenthesedays said:
Just an update. It appears this may be a known issue post 6.0.1 software update. Mine was the second iPad @ the a Genius Bar tonight with the issue. The battery is just fine, it's most likely a firmware issue. They updated/reset my iPad again and if that doesn't fix it then it's probably a hardware issue. 6.0.2 is supposed to fix the problem that caused my firmware issue. Supposedly, anyway.

iOS 6.0.2 is only available for the iPad mini and the iPhone 5.

OP
B

betweenthesedays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
iOS 6.0.2 is only available for the iPad mini and the iPhone 5.

Correct. He was just speculating about the possibility of a fix when the next update is available for iPad - not saying that it is available now. iOS 6.0.1 is the current version for iPad.

Today's battery seems to live in opposite land where battery level decreases to 85% before magically recharging itself through the evening culminating in its arrival at 100% when I had to restart the iPad in order to get AirPlay to reappear. Two hours later and it's clear that magic battery is here to stay. Restore (treating as new) and firmware update at the Genius Bar (again treating as new) did not fix it. I'm going to run it down until it shuts off, recalibrate, and see if I can get it working again. I usually get the new update when it becomes available and I don't remember when that was, but it wasn't last week when my problems first appeared which makes it hard to believe it would be software/firmware/update related.

Still, just shy of two years and this is my only complaint - it's worked flawlessly up until this point. I guess I can't complain too much.

Most reactions

Latest posts