What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member: About to Purchase IPad2: Looking for feedback..TIA!

joeytdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am brand new to this forum--

I am about to purchase an IPAD2 for my wife for Valentines Day. I know she really wants one!

She is going to use it mostly for entertainment: movies, books, facebook, gmail, internet, etc etc.

We already have a laptop each (albeit they are older though).

Anyways, what is the purpose of this post, right?

I am going to list the items I am purchasing and some questions and thoughts on each

Please let me know if I need to purchase something additional or if I dont need to purchase the item at all

(Also: My wife and I have both had IPhones but never a MAC)

IPAD 2 32GB 3G Model: I dont think she will need 64GB? And I am playing it safe by getting the 3G model, but wont sign up for a data plan right away.

RED Leather Cover: Just like the leather....

Wireless Keyboard and Stand: I think she would like this for her office at work. She can use the IPAD2 at work and I figure she would type more there

Camera Adapter: A must have - right?

Printer All In One: Forget which model right now, the one that is $125. I get a $100 rebate through my employer, AT&T, so I figure why not for $25?

And finally.....

Apple TV: I called the hotline and they said I could get the HDMI connector for $60 less, but that the Apple TV allows for wireless sharing with our HDTV. Is it worth the extra money for the convience? I think so....since she likes to watch Netflix often....

Anyways, the total price for everything, gift wrapping, free shipping, etc etc is a little over $1200 with my employee discount

I could get a macbook air with for that price, but we are looking for something different than a laptop--

I am so excited to see the look on her face come valentines day!!!!

IN closing, anything I should add? (apple care protection???) or take off?

Really ANY thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks So Much!!!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like you got yer ducks in a row! Pretty good list. She'll appreciate the keyboard for exteneded typing and if she'll be using it at the office. Id make sure the cover has options to help stand the iPad up in a few different configs. Comes in handy. 32GB seems to be the perfect size for MOST users. Unless you think she'll go crazy with video content or other space-hogging items, you'll be fine with 32GB

The camera adapter is not a must have unless you feel you must have it. Hope that makes sense. Ther are numerous ways to move files on and off of the ipad without SD cards/camera hookups. Thats entirely up to you but I dont feel its neccessary.

Im not a fan of Apple TV but thats me. We use Netflix and Hulu on our ipad and that works out great for us. I didnt feel the need for the HDMI cable or whatever. Thats another option thats entirely up to you. It really does seem like you've thought of everything. other than a few options, everything you list is relevant and makes sense. She will LOVE the portability and battery life when compared to a laptop or a macbook so go for the iPad!

Thats a GREAT gift - your lady should be very happy to have a thoughtful guy getting her such a nice gift! :thumbs:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Welcome to the forum. Fine list.
I use my iPad extensively at work. Purchased the wireless keyboard but rarely use it. The virtual keyboard works well, but in the end it's a preference thing.
I got the 64GB with 3G but never use that either - just tether to my iPhone. You might consider amping up the storage instead of paying for 3G.
Recommend getting a hard shell for the back. The snap on unit by "iFrogz" is perfect.

AA

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You didn't say the printer supports airprint, so I'll throw that in. The airprint function will allow printing directly from the ipad to the printer without the need for a go-between app.
I'll bet she will be thrilled.

OP
J

joeytdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for all the feedback

Question: In regards to watching Netflix on the IPAD2 and then being able to transfer it to the HDTV, I thought you needed the AV adapter (wired) or Apple TV (wireless) hence why I am buying the Apple TV, am I incorrect on that assumption?

And I do like the hard cover back by ifrogz idea, didnt think of that!

I guess everything else is personal preference (3G, GB amount, keyboard) but I figured just get it and let her return it if she doesnt want it....

OP
J

joeytdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh btw the printer is

[h=2]Epson WorkForce 545 All-in-One Printer[/h]
As I said, I get a $100 rebate through work on a printer if I purchase an IPAD so this is really a no brainer....I mean $30 for a all in one printer!!!!

Of course ill have to wait 6-8 weeks to get the rebate but so what....

I believe this is airprint....

HollyB320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Welcome to the forum. Fine list.
I use my iPad extensively at work. Purchased the wireless keyboard but rarely use it. The virtual keyboard works well, but in the end it's a preference thing.
I got the 64GB with 3G but never use that either - just tether to my iPhone. You might consider amping up the storage instead of paying for 3G.
Recommend getting a hard shell for the back. The snap on unit by "iFrogz" is perfect.

AA

What's a virtual keyboard instead of a wireless keyboard? Just curious....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HollyB320 said:

The virtual keyboard is wireless,but there is no physical keyboard.The unit uses a laser to project the keyboard an almost any flat surface.You type on it just as if it were a physical keyboard.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
HollyB320 said:

When I say virtual keyboard I mean the one that appears on the bottom half of the iPad screen.
image-3288616647.jpg

The virtual, projected keyboard scifan is talking about is this.
image-3329494650.jpg

Sorry if I was confusing.

AA

Most reactions