What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is apple really trying to sue samsung?

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the reason that samsung's galaxy tab is imitating apple's ipad? Just heard this rumor..

Reaction score
OP
P

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Yep.

A short extract of the accusations:
"Rather than develop the product independently, Samsung chose to imitate Apple’s innovative technology, user interface and elegant packaging products, in violation of intellectual property rights of Apple,”

But Samsung is already suing back, so no worries. :D

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/139235/20110428/samsung-sues-apple-in-us-for-patent-infringement.htm

I dont see how theyve imitated apple. I think all android system just looks the same. So why not sue the maker of android? Hehe

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Technology has gotten to be half about the products, and half about the patent lawsuits. There are companies that no longer build or develop products, but build a repertoire of patents that can be used to sue those companies that do make products. Some of the lawsuits are bargaining chips for creating joint developments. "I'll drop my lawsuit if you give me a license to use your patent in my new product". Followed by a counter lawsuit or product collaboration.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has a case on this, but only for really the dumbest of reasons. Samsung pretty blatantly ripped off several of Apples icons, which apparently Apple trademarked. Apple is trying to use this OBVIOUS infringement on their trademark to build a bigger case against Samsung with MUCH more ridiculous claims, such as Samsung is violating one of their patents of having a rectangular device with curved corners.

Basically patent law is stupid, and it needs to die. Apple and Microsoft patent EVERYTHING, and they are doing their best to kill Android with patents. They aren't going after Google directly, but instead suing device manufacturers to make Android (free OS) have an associated cost. Microsoft has already done this with HTC, and literally makes them buy a license for each Android device they sell. Microsoft charges them more for this license than Microsoft charges for its ENTIRE Windows Phone 7 OS, which is blatantly ridiculous. Apple is trying to go after the lowest hanging fruit they can on this one, which is Samsung, as they OBVIOUSLY have infringed on certain trademarks. The goal is to take this obvious infringement and win a broader case against Samsung. If they were to win a broad case against Samsung, and believe me some of their claims are ridiculously broad, they would immediately sue every other manufacturer that uses Android.

Edit: This is the OBVIOUS infringement:
..........iOS.... vs ..Touchwiz
avsamics2.jpg

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be pissed too after several years of investment and research to find that a competitor was competing by cloning/copying.

As to patent law, it's relevance is debatable, but it's part of the environment they have to compete in.
I very much doubt it was a dumb decision and is probably part of commercial manouvring with regard to future contracts and patent exchanges. Sort of pre-positioning.

Anyway android sucks being part of Googs evil empire :)

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In A Nutshell!

Apple has a case on this, but only for really the dumbest of reasons. Samsung pretty blatantly ripped off several of Apples icons, which apparently Apple trademarked. Apple is trying to use this OBVIOUS infringement on their trademark to build a bigger case against Samsung with MUCH more ridiculous claims, such as Samsung is violating one of their patents of having a rectangular device with curved corners.

Basically patent law is stupid, and it needs to die. Apple and Microsoft patent EVERYTHING, and they are doing their best to kill Android with patents. They aren't going after Google directly, but instead suing device manufacturers to make Android (free OS) have an associated cost. Microsoft has already done this with HTC, and literally makes them buy a license for each Android device they sell. Microsoft charges them more for this license than Microsoft charges for its ENTIRE Windows Phone 7 OS, which is blatantly ridiculous. Apple is trying to go after the lowest hanging fruit they can on this one, which is Samsung, as they OBVIOUSLY have infringed on certain trademarks. The goal is to take this obvious infringement and win a broader case against Samsung. If they were to win a broad case against Samsung, and believe me some of their claims are ridiculously broad, they would immediately sue every other manufacturer that uses Android.

Edit: This is the OBVIOUS infringement:
..........iOS.... vs ..Touchwiz
avsamics2.jpg

The icons say it all. It sure isn't about the Galaxy being a close rival, it isn't, and although they say imitation is a form of flattery, in this case it's big bucks!

Jeff

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The icons say it all. It sure isn't about the Galaxy being a close rival, it isn't, and although they say imitation is a form of flattery, in this case it's big bucks!

Jeff

Its kinda more like "The icons is all there is". I mean they are obviously copied, but that is pretty much the only obvious infringement that Samsung is guilty of. Apple is suing for such ****things as Samsung using a rectangular box where one half fits inside of the other and upon opening it up the phone is displayed upwards. I mean seriously Apple, you are ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Patent law needs some major reworking, but it is there for a reason. What is needed is a international consensus. Problem is the lawyers control the situation.

OP
P

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Yep.

A short extract of the accusations:
"Rather than develop the product independently, Samsung chose to imitate Apple’s innovative technology, user interface and elegant packaging products, in violation of intellectual property rights of Apple,”

But Samsung is already suing back, so no worries. :D

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/139235/20110428/samsung-sues-apple-in-us-for-patent-infringement.htm

I guess these companies already has an alloted budget if they lose the case.

Most reactions

Latest posts