What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipod cracked screen.

Starett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPod has a gravely cracked screen. It still operates and the camera still works. I've only had it for about 4 months. I Beverly cracked it before or any of my previous apple products. I hear your first replacement is free...someone just can tell me if its true and such.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean an iPad and not an iPod. Yes - Apple have an unofficial, "we'll deny it if you ask us", 'once-in-a-lifetime', replace a broken iPad screen for free. You'll need to go to an Apple Store, be very polite, be very humble, be very honest, you may need to speak to a Manager (ask nicely) because it's discretionary. If you get turned down, then you may need to find another store but most all our Members have had broken iPad screens replaced with a new iPad for free (so back up before you go!)

Good Luck and let us know how you get on....

Tim

Kp1387

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'm assuming you mean an iPad and not an iPod. Yes - Apple have an unofficial, "we'll deny it if you ask us", 'once-in-a-lifetime', replace a broken iPad screen for free. You'll need to go to an Apple Store, be very polite, be very humble, be very honest, you may need to speak to a Manager (ask nicely) because it's discretionary. If you get turned down, then you may need to find another store but most all our Members have had broken iPad screens replaced with a new iPad for free (so back up before you go!)

Good Luck and let us know how you get on....

Tim

Now I have read this but my question is will this work for the first gen iPad?

mercador

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did the same and I got lucky in the first store. Of course, I had to explain nicely and be honest, but they replaced it.

Kp1387

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mercador said:
I did the same and I got lucky in the first store. Of course, I had to explain nicely and be honest, but they replaced it.

So was this with the first gen iPad?

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i personally have not had to fix a broken or cracked screen, but i know people who have had to do it on their ipads. macbooks and iphones and they got it for free but it was a one time thing.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Judging from posts, Apple seems to be cutting down on free replacements, but it wouldn't hurt to try at a store.

I dropped my iPhone 4 several months ago, walked into an Apple store without an appointment and just showed the sales guy my phone. Unprompted, he offered me a one-time free replacement. I didn't have to show a receipt or even say where I bought it (in another country). I wouldn't expect such service, but I appreciated it.

lialai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Judging from posts, Apple seems to be cutting down on free replacements, but it wouldn't hurt to try at a store.

So I want to share what has happened to me and see if anyone has any advise.

I dropped and cracked my ipad screen, soooooooooooo upset. However, I have two friends who also dropped and cracked their ipads and were given free replacements no questions asked.
So after hearing that I made an appointment to an apple store but had to be about an hour late because I had to take my 4 month old to the doctor. As soon as I got there, the woman at check in was super rude and didnt want to help me, kept saying that I should come back another day or I may wind up waiting here all day if I decided to be on standby, mind you this is all while I have a 4 month old in a stroller with me. I reluctantly agreed to be on standby (since I do not live very close) and went to take a sit, at which point I spotted a supervisor and spoke to his about it, after a few minutes he came back saying I wouldn't have to wait more than an hour. I thanked him and patiently waited for an two hours. Finally I was approached by one of the geniuses and after speaking to me for about 30 secs he typed in my ipad info and said that the best he can do is offer me a replacement for $419 plus tax, I politely asked if that was the best he can do adn he said yes, after asking a few more times he said the best he can do is $419 minus 10% off. I said no thank you and before I walked away he said "You can think about it, I will leave a note of my offer if you'd like so you can get it later, I said no thanks" and walked away. I even spoke to the supervisor and he said that if I try going to another store I may have better luck.

So today my husband went in to a store on 5th ave and was basically told that he is getting a free swap until they saw a note that they offered me a swap for $419 minus 10% off, at which point they said they can't do a free swap for him because of that note.

What the heck???? I am so upset.

Do you think if we go to another store we might still get lucky? Or no point to try anymore??? Has anyone heard of similar stories?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I want to share what has happened to me and see if anyone has any advise.

I dropped and cracked my ipad screen, soooooooooooo upset. However, I have two friends who also dropped and cracked their ipads and were given free replacements no questions asked.
So after hearing that I made an appointment to an apple store but had to be about an hour late because I had to take my 4 month old to the doctor. As soon as I got there, the woman at check in was super rude and didnt want to help me, kept saying that I should come back another day or I may wind up waiting here all day if I decided to be on standby, mind you this is all while I have a 4 month old in a stroller with me. I reluctantly agreed to be on standby (since I do not live very close) and went to take a sit, at which point I spotted a supervisor and spoke to his about it, after a few minutes he came back saying I wouldn't have to wait more than an hour. I thanked him and patiently waited for an two hours. Finally I was approached by one of the geniuses and after speaking to me for about 30 secs he typed in my ipad info and said that the best he can do is offer me a replacement for $419 plus tax, I politely asked if that was the best he can do adn he said yes, after asking a few more times he said the best he can do is $419 minus 10% off. I said no thank you and before I walked away he said "You can think about it, I will leave a note of my offer if you'd like so you can get it later, I said no thanks" and walked away. I even spoke to the supervisor and he said that if I try going to another store I may have better luck.

So today my husband went in to a store on 5th ave and was basically told that he is getting a free swap until they saw a note that they offered me a swap for $419 minus 10% off, at which point they said they can't do a free swap for him because of that note.

What the heck???? I am so upset.

Do you think if we go to another store we might still get lucky? Or no point to try anymore??? Has anyone heard of similar stories?

Possibility: Return to first store, request that they remove the note from your account, then go to another store and see whether they'll offer you a replacement.

Most reactions

Latest posts