What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone to iPad Tethering a No Go

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone-ipad-tether.jpg

Recently Slashat.se reportedly sent an email to Mr. Jobs asking one simple question. "Will the wifi-only version somehow support tethering through my iPhone?" Supposedly Steve Jobs actually replied from his iPhone with "No".

For those that aren't aware what tethering is, it's the ability to share your Internet/data connection from your phone to other devices. In a way, it turns your mobile phone into a portable Internet router.

While the iPhone was suppose to support tethering with the release of the iPhone 3GS version last summer, AT&T still doesn't offer this feature. However, if you have an Android Phone you'll be in luck and should be able to pull this stunt off! For more information on Android Phones and Tethering, visit: Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shocker, nope. Why would AT&T want you to use one data plan for two devices when they can try to hoodwink consumers into paying twice to likely generate the same amount of network traffic (1.5 times as much at best).

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To keep you from using an Android phone on the Verizon network :)

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have heard that you can set up a wifi network with some phones that have 3g, anyone using this now??

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, of course it won't be a possibility.

But if you have a jailbroken iPhone and run the wireless router app, the iPad isn't going to know the difference between your iPhone and any other router.

Devas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard that you can set up a wifi network with some phones that have 3g, anyone using this now??

i am having ipad wifi only and using HTC HD with wifi router program to surf without any problem. 3G service provider is BSNL chennai india

Dev

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

i am having ipad wifi only and using HTC HD with wifi router program to surf without any problem. 3G service provider is BSNL chennai india

Dev

Devas, this is an old thread that was started before the iPad was even out. Many of us tether our iPhones and Android phones to our iPads for 3G.... I have been using my iPhone for my iPad for 3 months now......

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Dev

Devas, this is an old thread that was started before the iPad was even out. Many of us tether our iPhones and Android phones to our iPads for 3G.... I have been using my iPhone for my iPad for 3 months now......

Yeah same here. I'm on t-mobile so it isn't super fast, but can't complain about something is better than nothing.

I've also noticed that the longer I have it tethered the faster the speeds seem to get. Anyone else notice something similar?

Fool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still think this is a shame that apple have not put their loyal customers first, the more apple stuff you buy- the more privileges you should get!!!!

MaxiVista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am confused. Is it now possible to tether the iPad with the iphone 4 without Jailbreaking it?

Or would I need to jailbreak the iphone? Or the iPad?

:confused:

How is battery life of a tethering iphone 4?

keroro1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am confused. Is it now possible to tether the iPad with the iphone 4 without Jailbreaking it?

Or would I need to jailbreak the iphone? Or the iPad?

:confused:

How is battery life of a tethering iphone 4?

You need to jailbreak the iPhone. I think the app you need after that is mywi?

Most reactions

Latest posts