What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad3 canoot delte icon

Herb9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can get my icons to jiggle, but delete does not work. I have to reset the Ipad to get back on.
I installed the Icon with Safari from the Internet.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which icons are you trying to delete? The stock apps that come with a new iPad cannot be deleted. If you go to Settings>General>Restrictions, you can turn off some of the stock apps so they don't show on the home screen, but you can't delete them. Here's a screenshot showing the page in restrictions where you can turn off functionality for some of the stock apps.
image.jpg

OP
H

Herb9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can get my icons to jiggle, but delete does not work. I have to reset the Ipad to get back on.
Trying to delete Google.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you're trying to delete, then is a homescreen bookmark. You should be able to delete these just like you can delete apps purchased from the App Store. This is what you should see when you tap the x at the upper left corner of the icon.
image.jpg

Tapping the delete button in the pop up is supposed to delete the bookmark. Does this pop up with the delete button appear?

OP
H

Herb9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you're trying to delete, then is a homescreen bookmark. You should be able to delete these just like you can delete apps purchased from the App Store. This is what you should see when you tap the x at the upper left corner of the icon. View attachment 61624
Tapping the delete button in the pop up is supposed to delete the bookmark. Does this pop up with the delete button appear?
Do not see the pop-up that says Delete Icon. Nothing happens when I tap the delete button on the Google Icon.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found something that may help. If you have restrictions enabled, go to Settings>General>Restrictions and turn restrictions off, then try deleting the icons. If it works, turn restrictions on again after deleting the icons.

OP
H

Herb9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried turning Restrictions off and on a couple of times.
Not working yet.
By the way, Thanks for all the help.
Herb

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I couldn't help. If I find any other possible solutions, I'll let you know.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's something I just found. Go to Settings>General>Restrictions> and make sure deleting apps is set to on.
image.jpg

If the switch is set to off, you can't delete any icons from the homescreen, whether or not they're bookmarks or App Store apps.

OP
H

Herb9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still doesn't work.
What is funny is - that I can run all my programs and get results. I just can't delete anything.
Do you think it would help if I reloaded the op system.
How would you do that without delete all the Icons?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try turning off Restrictions. Then go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

This won't delete anything, but it will default many of your settings, like wallpaper, sounds, etc. You'll need to do a lot of tweaking afterwards to get things back to how you like them.

But if the inability to delete icons is being caused by a stuck Restrictions setting, this might fix the problem.

Another workaround, not fix, could be to go to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage. Apps can be selected (tap on them) and deleted there. Normally. No idea if it will work with your issue.

OP
H

Herb9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked. Reset All Settings cleared it up.
I am able to delete Icons now.
Thanks Again
Herb

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It worked. Reset All Settings cleared it up.
I am able to delete Icons now.
Thanks Again
Herb
Thanks for letting us know which solution worked. It could very well help other members with the same problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts