ipad2, my best electronic purchase EVER!

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Mikekan, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jduncan

jduncan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Guess I thought he was thinking about tethering to a phones wifi hotspot. Tmobile has great rates for that.

2. Jman09

Jman09
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah AT&T rates suck, which is why I have my iPhone 4 jailbroken.

3. jduncan

jduncan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Please explain. What network are on with it?

4. Jman09

Jman09
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm on AT&T, and jail broke my iPhone 4 so I could make it a hotspot without paying AT&T's higher rates. Still had to pay for the app to do this. The way I see it is that the tether/hotspot feature through AT&T isn't worth the extra $20 dollars a month to use. Yes, you do get the extra 2GB of data when you have this add on. But when I use my phone as a hotspot, it isn't for anything major. It is to use my iPad when I am out of Wifi range. And even when I tether quite a bit to my iPad I don't go over 1.2 GB of data transfer, and usually less than 1GB.

My current AT&T data plan is for 2GB a month, I didn't have AT&T before my iPhone 4 to get grandfathered in that unlimited deal.

But if I was constantly using close to 2GB a month in data while using tethering then I would be happy to un-jailbreak my phone, and add the hotspot/tether feature through AT&T.

5. jduncan

jduncan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you will be able to do that very much longer. From what I read ATT is going to put a stop to that. I'm on T-Mobile and have a MyTouch 4g with built in hot spot feature. They let me use it for free as long as I don't abuse it. Otherwise it's $15 per month. I use it exactly like you said, when I can't get wifi someplace.

6. jduncan

jduncan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Here is a link to what I read
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/04/atandt-no-more-unlimited-data-for-illegal-tetherers/

7. Jman09

Jman09
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    That article looks like it directed toward the people with jailbroken iPhones on unlimited plans and are abusing it every month. I only have a 2GB plan and barely use half of it. But I will change it if they email or text me about it.