What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 Help

shaunlockey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi im from the Uk i was wondering if i was possible for me to purchase a Ipad2 and accessories when i visit the US in June and for them to work back in the UK.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi im from the Uk i was wondering if i was possible for me to purchase a Ipad2 and accessories when i visit the US in June and for them to work back in the UK.

No problem - but purchase AT&T because Verizon is CDMA which does not work in the UK.

But you'll have to pay VAT at 20% and import duty..so think carefully

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

shaunlockey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ill just be buying a wifi only version i use my iphone's 3g and connect ipad to that..
Thanks for the advise, but could you please explain the 20% vat and import charges please if you could.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ill just be buying a wifi only version i use my iphone's 3g and connect ipad to that..
Thanks for the advise, but could you please explain the 20% vat and import charges please if you could.

When you enter the UK again, returning from the USA, you'll need to exit through the so-called 'Red Channel' (something to declare). Then Customs officers will want to see the invoice for your iPad. They will then compute the VAT at 20% and the Import Duty.

You can see the official line here at the UK Government website.

HM Revenue & Customs

Each passenger is allowed a certain allowance for bringing goods back into the UK - I think it's £250 per person for gifts or other valuable items. Passengers are not allowed to 'combine' their allowances, so two family members travelling together can't combine their £250 allowances into £500, for example.

When the Customs Officers have calculated the VAT and Import Duty you'll have to pay (they accept credit cards) before they will release the iPad to you. If you are unable to pay, the goods will be impounded until you are able to pay.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts