1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad2 bypasses proxy settings

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by FrenchTV, Mar 3, 2012.

1. FrenchTV

FrenchTV iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was wondering what anyone here had to say about proxy servers and the iPad 2 because no matter what I use the iPad still shows my local location when I'm in safari looking up my ip.

For example I tried "net shade" for iPad, while I can see the proxys ip when I google my ip. The maps do not, I shut of my cellular singalong to block the 3G card but it still shows my actual location, so was the iPad designed to track the devices regardless of proxy or what?
  2. colek

colek iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, that is correct--the iPad only uses proxy settings for Safari and iTunes. All other apps, location services, etc., use anonymous authentication to connect. On our proxy server we had to allow iPad traffic for anonymous users. Then our web-filtering software is able to track Safari traffic per the proxy settings, but the apps and location services are still able to work since they don't even refer to the proxy information.

HTH