What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 and HyperDrive ipad hard drive

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rec'd my new HyperDrive hard drive for ipad yesterday & the instructions that came with it did not point out the details necessary to use it with the ipad2 and the pitfalls if you don't follow them. Be sure that you highlight the folder that contains the photos and there is nothing in the folders but photos. If you don't you will receive a message saying the hard drive might be damaged. The people at their office was very prompt in answering my questions and gave me the proper instructions. Connecting it to my desktop pc was a piece of cake & acted like any other external hard drive. After getting it to work I have to say I was amazed at how fast it was in down & uploading. We are going on a cruise & at this point I am of the opinion I will not need to take anything else other than my ipad and this unit and I will be a happy camper. Jim Johnston

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's good info Jim as I've been thinking about getting one of those hyperdrive units......my wallet is starting to twitch again!

The Archangel

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you transfer photos/video to and from the iPad? Do the videos show up on the photo app or the video app? What format of video is supported and at what resolution? How long does it take to transfer a 4gb HD movie?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm really interested in one if it will do what I want.

OP
J

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not a expert so take what a say with a grain of salt so this is what I have found out by using it.. First you can only transfer photos & videos one way from the hyperdrive to the ipad. It transfers the videos to photos app but unless they are converted for ipad viewing before transfer they show in photo as movie but you cannot view them. While on our cruise I plan to store them on the hyperdrive & when we come home transfer them to my pc convert & then put them on the ipad. This way I don't have to pack a pc in my bag. As I said in my post the transfer speed is amazing. Hope this has helped jimjoh

Troll1678

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Xillisoft to encode DVDs to my iPad.

I use the prg to convert them to my iPod format the use iTunes to upload to the iPad.

Works great!

shorty106

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi JimJoh, while on your cruise how will you put videos & photos on your hyperdrive hard drive? are you downloading from a video camera or digital still camera? Thank you for all the questions. I'm asking these questions before making the purchase of the iPad2. Thanks again.

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was seriously looking at the Hyperdrive but the Seagate GoFlex Satellite looks to be a better product since it will be wireless. I think I will wait a few weeks and see how the reviews look before making a decision.
GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

shorty106

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 and hard drive

I was seriously looking at the Hyperdrive but the Seagate GoFlex Satellite looks to be a better product since it will be wireless. I think I will wait a few weeks and see how the reviews look before making a decision.
GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate
Will the Seagate work with my MacBook pro? I heard USB HD are faster than wireless. I'm with you about Seagate being a better brand.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And, don't forget the Airstash

Just got my new one and, at $99, it's much more price worthy than the Hyperdrive. It only works with SD cards so three of my Canons that use CF cards are still a problem.

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my new one and, at $99, it's much more price worthy than the Hyperdrive. It only works with SD cards so three of my Canons that use CF cards are still a problem.

No HD video support for movie streaming makes that product a no-go for me.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This product definitely has potential. I'm sure it's developers will be tweaking very soon

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jbell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi newbie here. Can anyone explain the differences between the mifi, the air stash, the new seagate device and this one being discussed. Thanks, Janet

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi newbie here. Can anyone explain the differences between the mifi, the air stash, the new seagate device and this one being discussed. Thanks, Janet

Mi-Fi is a 3G Personal Hotspot for sharing an Internet gateway.
The other 3 are storage and/or media streaming solutions. The HyperDrive uses the iPad camera interface for transfers. The Seagate and Airstash use Wi-Fi. These are all iPad compatible external storage solutions which allow you to have on-the-go access to your pictures, videos, and other files. I myself am looking for something that will let me carry around 50+ HD movies which I can then play on my iPad. The Seagate solution seems best suited to that.

Most reactions

Latest posts