What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad1Wifi Tethered Droid X Navigation

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have my iPad wifi-only tethered to my Droid X phone, and I get web access just fine.

Is there a way to use the map programs on the iPad and get location info from the Droid/Internet? Either by gps or cell site location?

I'm having a brain cramp and can't figure out one way or the other, so if anyone can confirm or deny, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

OP
K

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bump, I can't get realtime map data on the iPad when tethered through my DroidX. Is it possible to do this or is it impossible to do? Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There was some speculation about whether a device/phone tethered to the iPad would provide GPS data. In the end most people concluded that a tethered iPad receives the location database and guesses it's location just like when it is on any other Wi-Fi network. Because the phone's hotspot is not in the database, this is even less likely to get a good fix.

It is possible to use the iPad with an external GPS. This requires either the right app, or a jailbreak of the iPad. Conceivably you could both root the Droid X and jailbreak the iPad to make something work. However, we are still waiting for the iPad 2 jailbreak.

The hacking forum would be the best place to hang out and ask further questions.

The Kleaner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have my iPad wifi-only tethered to my Droid X phone, and I get web access just fine.

I have a Droid and my wife has a Droid X so I have to ask...why? Are you just curious if this will work or do you not want to use the nav program built in to your X? I really like the google nav app in both of our phones.

Just wondering...

OP
K

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have a Droid and my wife has a Droid X so I have to ask...why? Are you just curious if this will work or do you not want to use the nav program built in to your X? I really like the google nav app in both of our phones.

Just wondering...

I dig the DroidX navi, just more of a geek question, plus on our vacation next month I would rather have the big screen for my wife to follow as the phone screen is too small for her to use with confidence.

Most reactions

Latest posts