What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tether iPad to Droid X

drsadistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I am being driven mad by this is issue and I'm desperate to find a working solution. Before I begin, please note that I have Googled this extensively before posting here.

Goal: Wireless tether my 32 gb iPad 1 to my Droid X running 2.2.1 custom rom, rooted.

Issue: I can accomplish the actual connection from the iPad to the Droid but it will not use data at all.

Attempted Solutions: I've tried using barnacle tether, wireless tether, and the stock 3g app that is of course hacked to allow free wifi usage. I've tried different versions of wireless tether, I've explored every possible type of security settings on each device and app. I've reset both, changed SSID's, enable and dissabled wifi on the iPad and forget all the connections allowing them to get fresh connections. All this and still no luck. Is there a solution I have missed?

This is not something I'm doing for fun, we are attempting to change a few things at work and need this to work for us to be able to go forward, so a quick response would be advantageous to say the least.

If there is an active genius among you wanting to help me on a one on one basis, I can be contacted numerous ways, including via talk by adding the SN drsadistic@Gmail, this also being my email address.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice given.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All I can say is that when I had my Droid X the normal paid for Verizon hotspot feature worked fine with the iPad. So, I suspect your problems is rooted (pun intended) in the ROM that you are using. Hold in mind that with the exception of an iPhone, the iPad does not technically tether with any device (without jailbreaking), it only joins the wi-fi network generated by the hotspot device.

Are you able to tether (connect to the wi-fi hotspot) with other devices like a laptop?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Should have mentioned the Droid X was stock (well, not rooted). I don't have it anymore. It was my only phone, and I never had the courage to root my sole method of emergency communications. :)

Though the Liberty ROM was very tempting, from what I read about it. I liked the home screen anyway. ;)

Most reactions