1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad with iPhone MicroSIM Installed

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by DarkHorseMBA, Jul 1, 2010.

1. DarkHorseMBA

DarkHorseMBA iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just speculation, but wonder if someone could try this. I don't have a iPhone4 yet, but if this works I'd move up my purchase plans.

If ones takes a micro SIM from a iPhone4 and inserts it in an iPad 3G, would it work? Could you effectivly "share" a data plan between iPhone and iPad?
  2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    apple and ATT have already said that the iPhone 4 micro sim will NOT work in the iPad, they will block it from working.
  3. donsgraphics

donsgraphics iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    True...but...

What if you changed the profile in Safari for example to iphone...would it work then?!! Someone try and let us know.
  4. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Its not that simple.

Each device has its own IMEI number. This is the number given to the cellular towers each time the device connects. AT&T knows what IMEI numbers are for iphones and what ones are for iPads. When an iPad IMEI number connect with a simcard that has an iPhone data plan the connection is rejected from AT&T's side.

The IMEI number is embeded into the devices chips and changing it is highly illegal.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010