1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPAD...Will it do what I want?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by FBW, Sep 29, 2012.

1. FBW

FBW iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forgive my ignorance.....Ive resisted reading all the hype about this new fangled gadget for the last few years purely because I didnt really need it. It took me quite a while to relent and get an iPhone which I must admit only gets used for telephone and texting...

Anyhow...I'm shortly changing my job and will be cold-calling prospective leads and am wondering if an iPad will do the things I need it to.
    I need to be able to display websites OFFLINE. Does the iPad have a file storage facility, then, in the same way a laptop would?
    Can I just transfer all my web pages to a folder c:\xxx on my iPad?
    I suspect not.

I guess storing home made movies is the same way I would do it on the iPhone? ie plug it in...wait for iTunes to open...add movie to library....add movie to playlist ...sync.
    Is there an easier way?
    Ideally I'd like to place all the stuff I need on the iPad into 1 folder on my PC and when I click "Sync" it all gets transferred but I guess things arnt that simple are they?

Finally can one of you kind souls explain for the occasions I want to show a prospective client live web pages, and an internet connection is required, how do I ensure I always have one without asking for the clients password for his wi-fi?
    Surely there must be a way to connect to the internet without bothering my client ?

Thanks for your help - I'd be extremely grateful if you could word your responses so a 12 year old would understand.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. ipadder474

ipadder474 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    From what I am reading you wrote I don't see much of it happening using the iPad as it is today. As for your client's WifI I don't see how you could access their Wifi without their pass words.
  3. FBW

FBW iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok thanks.
    So it doesnt work same way as a laptop. Basically its a bigger iPhone?

I think I'll stick with a laptop then, cheers.
  4. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    There are apps for your iPad that will let you store and display websites offline, however with your attitude going in I would recommend you stay away from the iPad completely.
  5. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849 / 0
    You could always go for a 3/4G iPad, then you would have your own Internet on the road, and wouldn't have to bother about wifi. Alternatively, could you meet your clients in Starbucks?

With some care over setting up, iCloud is looking very much like the solution for people in your position. With automatic syncing between your iPad, iPhone and MBP, you should have access to your info with little effort.

Update a Pages document, and it's available to edit on your MBP when you get home. Add a contact on your iPhone, and it's available on your other devices.

I think, far from being cut down versions of computers, iPads are only beginning to scratch the surface of possibilities for those whose business involves travel.
  6. FBW

FBW iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks thewitt
    You misread my "attitude" as just stating facts. I wasnt saying I was disappointed in the iPad...just that considering the previous reply it seemed I would have to make do with a laptop then.

Now you informed me there are apps that will easily let me install web pages then the iPad is a distinct possibility. I certainly like the look of it and I know the clients will be impressed if I'm using that. Ive seen images displayed on them and the colours are tremendous....so much better than a laptop.

So a quicker and easier question....had I know the terms...would have been "Are there aps that will enable me to install and display a website offline to my clients on an iPad?"

Would you be so knd as to point me in the direction of them?
  7. FBW

FBW iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Aha...thanks KevinJS
    so 3/4g allows a higher bandwidth ...but I dont understand how it all works. I would, presumably, have to tie it in with a phone contract and unfortunately I only just took one out for 2 years.
    No, Starbucks wouldnt be an option.
  8. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849 / 0
    No. I just noticed you come from Blackpool in the UK, so 4G is out, for now at least. You should be able to get a data plan for your iPad that is completely independent of your phone contract. Since the iPad belongs to you, they run out quite cheap, as the company supplying your Internet is not subsidizing the price of your iPad.

I'm in Canada so I'm not up on UK providers, but I should think Virgin or BT should be able to hook you up with something. You can also tether your iPad to your iPhone and share the Internet connection, although some companies charge extra for this capability. Mine does not, so I've never bothered to get a plan for my iPad.

Pity about Starbucks. They make great coffee, and their wifi is reasonably fast.
  9. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    You can go the PAYG route rather than a full contract. Or get a wifi only iPad with a mifi unit (I have gone this route) and just top up date allowance as you need it.

The Archangel
  10. LannyC

LannyC iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +352 / 0
    Balderdash, there are solutions for all of your needs. You do have to be willing to adapt, though--iPad does not have a file system like you're used to, in the interest of denying viruses a path to propagate. Your workflow will be a bit different, but the results should be the same. Lots of folks make a game of it, to see how far they can push this 'media consumption device' into doing useful work. You'll benefit from a spirit of adventure.

There are apps to grab web pages, and apps to play all types of video. The good ones include a wifi server, which you visit in your desktop or laptop browser, and just drag the files from Windows onto the iPad, no iTunes required. If you buy an iPad with 4G capability, it will fall back to your wireless data plan when wifi isn't available, as long as there's cell service.

I recommend that you try some of these apps on your iPhone, as a proof of concept. They'll all work much better on a larger screen, of course, but you'll get an idea of what's possible, and how many hoops you'll need to jump through. Then, if you decide it's all doable, you can spring for the iPad and get on with it.

BTW, I'm typing all this on my iPad's onscreen keyboard. With a positive attitude, it's not at all hard to get used to.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.
  11. FBW

FBW iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks all....and in particular LannyC.
    Yes...that sounds like a plan....use my iPhone to see if what I want is achievable before I part with another 400 quid (to ensure it doesnt just attract dust)

Why didnt I think of that? Cheers m'dears.
  12. susanlackey

susanlackey iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Hmmmm, mifi unit? I haven't heard of this, but it sounds like something I may be interested in as I have wifi only, which works fine 99% of the time, but there have been those rare occasions when I wished I would have gone with the 4g instead.
  13. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849 / 0
    That works too, of course. An iPhone can be seen as a mini iPad in lots of ways. By the way, when I said that 4G is out, all that means is that the new technology is not available yet in the UK. 3G is fast enough and is actually what you will be using on your iPhone.

So, for sure, try out the concepts on your phone and when you have figured out whether its going to work for you, buy the iPad and enjoy the bigger screen.

Don't forget to get back to us and let us know how you get on.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    One more comment, assuming you are going to show off your web pages to prospective clients, I would be very impressed if you showed me your website on an iPad instead of a laptop. It looks very sophisticated and you spend very little time setting up your iPad. In the business world, using the latest technology, especially a tablet, garners a whole lot of pizzaz!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    If you are trying to show off a desktop version of a website on an iPad, you better go to the nearest Apple store and see what it looks like before you take the plunge.

If I were a customer looking at a desktop version of your website on an iPad, I would not be particularly impressed.

Most websites designed for a desktop can be displayed on an iPad, however it's not a great choice. Websites optimized for the ipad are brilliant however...
  16. ipadder474

ipadder474 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I might add the Logitech Blue Tooth keyboard made for iPads, will make typing a lot simpler and quicker then just tapping on the iPad screen.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  17. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439 / 0
    Also, if you are on the same wireless as your Mac or PC you can sync videos to the iPad without being physically connected - just plug your iPad into the wall somewhere in wireless range. You can drag the videos anytime and they should sync when you are ready, this works great on my iPhone too. You do still have to use iTunes though to do it.
  18. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    Take a look at 'browse later' app
  19. FBW

FBW iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes - I quite agree and is really the reason I wanted to present it on one.

Thanks for further comments all. Yes - the web pages will be iPad optimised and I'll seek out the "browse later" app, cheers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  20. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    I've had an Ipad since the One came out and one of my fun and challenging things to do is solve my friends' Ipad issues for business and personal. I have found, both for myself and my friends in various vocations, that I can generally find apps or combo of apps that works for them without carrying a laptop.

Personally, for saving web pages I often use a PDF converter and save as a PDF and am able to organize in both Noteability and Goodreader apps--and back them up to Dropbox (which can easily be your friend in dealing with Ipad and PC). I'm in US and do have a 3/4G Ipad 3 so am able to access my Dropbox anywhere--but those pages are also saved for offline reading in the two apps I prefer.

I don't know what's available in the UK but the cost of using your Iphone for hot spot might be well worth the additional cost to not have to carry a laptop--and for having that bit of cache' the Ipad might give you to your clients.

Diane