What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Ipad do this?

Willie Alberts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at getting a tablet to use for my business. I don't know much about the ipad's.

I am currently using an Acer Notebook (Windows 7 & office) and HTC Desire HD for photos and to receive emails while out of office.

I have a small woodworking business and need to be able to do quotations on the move for clients, show good quality photos of my work to new clients, send and receive emails, do simple drawings.

What I need from the Ipad if possibe is:

• To be able to view and edit all my current Excel and Word documents.
  • To draw a simple floorplan drawing
I am sure it will be able to do all the rest like Internet banking and email and so on.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Willie

ripipemender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Willie Alberts said:
Hi all,

I am looking at getting a tablet to use for my business. I don't know much about the ipad's.

I am currently using an Acer Notebook (Windows 7 & office) and HTC Desire HD for photos and to receive emails while out of office.

I have a small woodworking business and need to be able to do quotations on the move for clients, show good quality photos of my work to new clients, send and receive emails, do simple drawings.

What I need from the Ipad if possibe is:

[*]To be able to view and edit all my current Excel and Word documents.
[*]To draw a simple floorplan drawing

I am sure it will be able to do all the rest like Internet banking and email and so on.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Willie

The excel/word docs and pics are no problem. Much of the excel format will transfer over. I use quick office hd pro for those the drawing not suremof

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you search the app store, there are loads of apps for either drawing plans or you could use any of the note taking apps for doing quick drawings (Paper?)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new iPad also takes decent photos; though you need good lighting for the best pictures.

There are several invoice app for the iPad. I'm not sure which is the best, but there are a couple threads on the subject.

Hold in mind, there will be a learning curve. This isn't just a matter of getting a flat computer. You'll need to get used to thinking differently about how you access, send, save, and otherwise deal with files. Then there is the the cloud component. To run your business efficiently on a mobile device you're going to have to learn how to shuffle and share files in the cloud.

It's not hard, it is just different. I've seen a lot of people here who purchase a tablet for business and then get frustrated because they though it would be just like using a laptop, only cooler. It is cool. But cool occasionally requires a bit of adaptability. :D

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is reported that Microsoft will release Office for iPad in November.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there.

I run a small woodworking business in London, and find the iPad invaluable for customer presentations, portfolio of previous work, job notes, estimating and invoicing. At the moment I'm still producing working drawings and floor plans with OmniGraffle on my Mac, but I'm evaluating some room plan apps that are looking promising for my simple needs - MagicPlan, FloorPlan, and iPlanit are the ones in the frame at the moment.

I haven't found anything yet that I'm comfortable to do working drawings of e.g. custom cabinets, built-in wardrobes etc... - a lot of the 'drawing' apps are more geared towards artistic sketching/painting, rather than millimeter-accurate line drawings; I'm currently 'playing with' GraphPad and TouchDraw, though I'm finding both are far from ideal, for me, so far.

I switched to QuickSale for all my invoicing and estimating at the start of this year, and despite a few limitations it has really improved the speed at which I produce estimates (previously the bane of my life) and invoices are promptly produced, with options to settle by PayPal etc.. if required. I took a little time to customise one of the standard invoice templates to my requirements, and whilst it's not ideal, it serves well enough.

I've always made job notes in SimpleNote - simple, text-only notes that sync between your iPad, iPhone and computer, no other 'cloud' required. I've been trying out alternative notes apps so that I can include photos, sketches, handwritten notes and audio clips all in the one file, and am leaning towards Notes Plus as the one to start using in earnest.

I can't imagine trying to run my business without my iPad - it'd be like trying to work without a track saw!

HTH Pete

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts