What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wanna be's

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In iPad news a few days ago, a $100 iPad 7" wannabe at K-Mart was discussed.

I've found a much more significant competitor (I believe)
Orphan M16 Android 2.1 aPad Tablet (10") for $200 to $400 (available now)
and here are some things it has that it has (over the iPad)
Ethernet support
USB port
USB for web camera
32 GB TF Card (&/or U Drive)
It uses the Google Android system which has thousands of Apps (don't know their quality).

View it at
Buy 10.2" Android 2.1 iPed - Orphan Tablet PC Windows 6.0 aPad MID Slate iPed-M16

whadaya think?

Last edited:

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm thinking people (not saying you) need to understand the hardware is only half of the equation. The apps, moreover, the quality of the apps are an integral component. I have an Android phone but will be the first to say the Android apps still have a pretty fair amount of work to get equal to the amount of quality apps available on the Apple devices. No hardware is worth a damn without software to run with it.

Azieser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that the anderoid apps need some time to mature. Still there are some great apps out there for anderoid.

It all depends on if you would like to wait for a great pad device or just use the iPad which is available now and has proven to be a worthy device.

The tablet market has been a troubled path to say the least. Apple is not the first to develop them, but they are the first to successfully market tablets to the masses. I am really satisfied with my choice of tablet, for now. However sooner or later another will come about and at that time I am sure that I will purchase it as well.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I skimmed over specs, what I got is only 2 gb space and no slot for sd card?

Still not bad, should be cheaper.. Only 5 hours battery with wifi on.

MrYummy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty soon the market will be flooded with tablet computers. Some of them will be absolute garbage. Some of them will be strong competition for the iPad, the current king of the block (and the only one currently on it). But this is a good thing, as stiff competition means innovation and reasonable prices. I'm excited to see what other manufacturers will bring to the table.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty soon the market will be flooded with tablet computers. Some of them will be absolute garbage. Some of them will be strong competition for the iPad, the current king of the block (and the only one currently on it). But this is a good thing, as stiff competition means innovation and reasonable prices. I'm excited to see what other manufacturers will bring to the table.

Very informative post. I liked it.:)

OP
D

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somewhere in that wannabe

Oops, it do have a TF card (up to 32 gig) & U Drive. Check the specs again. It's in there somewhere.

Last edited:

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you like something else than the iPad, why are you posting on an iPad forum? If you really liked Chevys, why would you be posting on a Ford forum?
I'm really confused.

Dan Diego

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you like something else than the iPad, why are you posting on an iPad forum? If you really liked Chevys, why would you be posting on a Ford forum?
I'm really confused.
I'm not confused! Posting specs on the competition is healthy endeavor in an open forum. This isn't Itunes! I think it's fair to provide comparisons.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPad, so that is why I am on this forum. There is nothing out there that can compete with the iPad at this point. This fall however, there will be several tablets released that make the iPads hardware look extremely outdated. And I disagree with the person above who said hardware is nothing without software. Software is nothing without hardware. These tablets like the eeePad and exoPC will have HDMI out and 16x9 screens. No app is going to bring that to the iPad. They will output HD content over the HDMI, not 480p, no software can bring that to the iPad, unless Apple itself decides to update. Also, they will be able to wirelessly sync and will not need a computer to handle simple tasks.

The iPad is the king on the block right now, and it really is an awesome device, but it will not remain the best for long. Apple has cornered itself into crappy screen resolutions (multiples of the original iphone's horrrific resolution) which are not conducive to watching HD content, has gimped features on the device to push iTunes, has built a walled garden around the device and shielded it from almost all customization, etc. Also, if anyone has seen Gingerbread previews, which is going to be the tablet OS for Android, it looks absolutely SICK and has a screen resolution of TRUE 720P.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm really confused.
I'm not confused! Posting specs on the competition is healthy endeavor in an open forum. This isn't Itunes! I think it's fair to provide comparisons.

I don't think he was referring to you with his post. Think he meant the OP, but I could be wrong. God knows it wouldn't be a first. :D

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will I do think this iPad will be outdated soon, if it's not already..

I am disappointed that the screen resolution is only 480p..

And Apple used the same os as iPhone.. Apple was kinda asking for it, and that's why ppl say it's just a big iPhone.. If apple didn't want ppl saying this they should have used a new and different os..

Also they should have had 2 USB ports, FireWire, and sd slot..

Anyway, apple is on top right now for tablets but not for much longer...

The bigger they are the harder they fall..

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

And Apple used the same os as iPhone.. Apple was kinda asking for it, and that's why ppl say it's just a big iPhone.. If apple didn't want ppl saying this they should have used a new and different os..

If you're thinking Android is going to have anything to touch them, especially this quickly, you're delusional. Same for anything with a Palm OS format.

In case people aren't quite getting it, THE APPS ARE A VITAL COMPONENT FOR SUCCESS. Period.

NOTHING will be coming out with Windows OS soon. Microsoft even gave up their project. HP hacked theirs, also.

So what is going to be the one to take them down?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you're thinking Android is going to have anything to touch them, especially this quickly, you're delusional. Same for anything with a Palm OS format.

In case people aren't quite getting it, THE APPS ARE A VITAL COMPONENT FOR SUCCESS. Period.

NOTHING will be coming out with Windows OS soon. Microsoft even gave up their project. HP hacked theirs, also.

So what is going to be the one to take them down?

The apps are nice, but Android has apps for pretty much everything. If you are talking about games, that might be another story. Tell me though, how will the iPad fight against an Android tablet which has these features:

16x9 Screen
HDMI port
USB ports
512 MB of ram minimum
SD card slot for storage expansion
Plays 1080P through HDMI port
720P screen to view HD content on
Fully functional bluetooth
Ability to natively push music wirelessly to your device from your computer
Ability to natively stream your entire music library to the device
Ability to play mkv, avi or pretty much any other file format, in HD
Full flash capability
Accelerometer and GPS within the browser capable
Text to Speech, seriously this is a killer feature iOS completely lacks
Speech to Text to speech translation on the fly

If you think that Apple's app store makes up for that, then there is nothing Apple could release that you wouldn't purchase as long as the app store was included. The app store on Android is impressive. While it might not have as many games or the same quality of games as the iOS devices do, I think you will see that change rather quickly.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I am very aware of what is available in the Android store since I am on it on the rather regular basis. On the whole, I couldn't care less about the games. The business apps aren't measuring up. They do have good version of Quickoffice and several others but the depth isn't there yet. Once the finally get the platforms stabilized and common across all of their hardware, they will finally start seeing a growth in true, quality apps. By the way, the inability to load apps to an outside memory source and limiting the size of the apps themselves has been a bad hindrance. That should finally be basically corrected with Froyo, but now developers are going to have to get used to designing apps that have the ability to install on the SD cards and take better advantage of the memory.

As far as the hardware above? Do you think this is the only version of the iPad that is going to be produced? That they are simply going to sit back and not touch it again? No advancements? Be realistic. With the exception of a few items, Apple isn't known to sit back and get walked on by other manufacturers and technologies. They will advance as they perceive threats to their technology.

Like I said, I have the Incredible and am very aware of the Android capabilities and growth patterns for quite awhile. But they still have to catch up. Personally, i hope they do start making advancements. I don't like monopolies and competition drives the market to improve and create greater things. But i think it is going to be a ugh stretch to think Apple will sit back and roll over to other manufacturers. They will advance with the rest.

Most reactions

Latest posts