iPad wanna be's

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Dbolen888, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Dbolen888

Dbolen888
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    In iPad news a few days ago, a $100 iPad 7" wannabe at K-Mart was discussed.

I've found a much more significant competitor (I believe)
    Orphan M16 Android 2.1 aPad Tablet (10") for $200 to $400 (available now)
    and here are some things it has that it has (over the iPad)
    Ethernet support
    USB port
    USB for web camera
    32 GB TF Card (&/or U Drive)
    It uses the Google Android system which has thousands of Apps (don't know their quality).

View it at
    Buy 10.2" Android 2.1 iPed - Orphan Tablet PC Windows 6.0 aPad MID Slate iPed-M16

whadaya think?

#1 Dbolen888, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking people (not saying you) need to understand the hardware is only half of the equation. The apps, moreover, the quality of the apps are an integral component. I have an Android phone but will be the first to say the Android apps still have a pretty fair amount of work to get equal to the amount of quality apps available on the Apple devices. No hardware is worth a damn without software to run with it.

3. Azieser

Azieser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I agree that the anderoid apps need some time to mature. Still there are some great apps out there for anderoid.

It all depends on if you would like to wait for a great pad device or just use the iPad which is available now and has proven to be a worthy device.

The tablet market has been a troubled path to say the least. Apple is not the first to develop them, but they are the first to successfully market tablets to the masses. I am really satisfied with my choice of tablet, for now. However sooner or later another will come about and at that time I am sure that I will purchase it as well.

4. Ultrimate

Ultrimate
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I skimmed over specs, what I got is only 2 gb space and no slot for sd card?

Still not bad, should be cheaper.. Only 5 hours battery with wifi on.

5. MrYummy

MrYummy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Pretty soon the market will be flooded with tablet computers. Some of them will be absolute garbage. Some of them will be strong competition for the iPad, the current king of the block (and the only one currently on it). But this is a good thing, as stiff competition means innovation and reasonable prices. I'm excited to see what other manufacturers will bring to the table.

6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Very informative post. I liked it.:)

7. Dbolen888

Dbolen888
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Somewhere in that wannabe

Oops, it do have a TF card (up to 32 gig) & U Drive. Check the specs again. It's in there somewhere.

#7 Dbolen888, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  8. Bluesjam

Bluesjam
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If you like something else than the iPad, why are you posting on an iPad forum? If you really liked Chevys, why would you be posting on a Ford forum?
    I'm really confused.

9. Dan Diego

Dan Diego
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm not confused! Posting specs on the competition is healthy endeavor in an open forum. This isn't Itunes! I think it's fair to provide comparisons.

10. muyoso

muyoso
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I own an iPad, so that is why I am on this forum. There is nothing out there that can compete with the iPad at this point. This fall however, there will be several tablets released that make the iPads hardware look extremely outdated. And I disagree with the person above who said hardware is nothing without software. Software is nothing without hardware. These tablets like the eeePad and exoPC will have HDMI out and 16x9 screens. No app is going to bring that to the iPad. They will output HD content over the HDMI, not 480p, no software can bring that to the iPad, unless Apple itself decides to update. Also, they will be able to wirelessly sync and will not need a computer to handle simple tasks.

The iPad is the king on the block right now, and it really is an awesome device, but it will not remain the best for long. Apple has cornered itself into crappy screen resolutions (multiples of the original iphone's horrrific resolution) which are not conducive to watching HD content, has gimped features on the device to push iTunes, has built a walled garden around the device and shielded it from almost all customization, etc. Also, if anyone has seen Gingerbread previews, which is going to be the tablet OS for Android, it looks absolutely SICK and has a screen resolution of TRUE 720P.