What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much more would you pay for an iPad 4th generation?

neudof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am moving back to ipad since trading away my iPad 1 and owning a WebOS and 2 different Android tablets.

Wal-Mart currently has the iPad3 64gb Wi-Fi on sale for 499.99 online. The iPad 4 64gb Wi-Fi is 699.99.

Is the Ipad 4 worth 200$ more or should I pick up the iPad 3 instead?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am moving back to ipad since trading away my iPad 1 and owning a WebOS and 2 different Android tablets.

Wal-Mart currently has the iPad3 64gb Wi-Fi on sale for 499.99 online. The iPad 4 64gb Wi-Fi is 699.99.

You can compare the technical details here:

image-3845199118.jpg

image-292786184.jpg

Wikipedia

The iPad 4 64 GB Wi-Fi only is available in the Apple store at the same price as Wal-Mart.

OP
N

neudof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but I have already done the comparison. Being that I have been away from the iPad since Generation 1 am wondering if the people on the forum who have much more experience than I, feel the 4 is worth 200 more than the 3 :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad 3 has been obsolete for 10 months so I am surprised it is still available any where.

The 4th generation is double performance plus offers the new generation wifi

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I would get the ipad 3, unless you want the latest and greatest. The iPad 2 is still selling and doing well, so the 3 should be fine. I have the ipad3, and love it. Just my thought.

jgelety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on what you're using it for. If its just for regular Internet, email etc the iPad 3 is perfect. If you're playing high end games or apps and planning on continuing to download the next biggest high end app I'd go with the iPad 4 since it has the upgraded processor & wifi. Also consider your phone and future phones. If you're on the iPhone is it a 5? Or any plans on the 5 or newer? Because the iPad 3 is the old cable and the iPad 4 is the new lighting cable which the iPhone 5 has and I'm sure future iPhones will have. I hate buying new cables just because the device changed or having to have 2 types of cables to charge devices. Some don't think this is worth the extra $200 but I do. I have the iPhone 4S so bought the iPad 3. After I upgrade my iPhone to what ever is new this fall I'll most likely also upgrade my iPad to the newest one that comes out that's full sized (no interest in the mini).

iPad 3 has been obsolete for 10 months so I am surprised it is still available any where.

I respectfully disagree. While technology has advanced you'll always need two version just for the people not looking to spend more money for a device that's more than they need. I don't count the mini because its just an iPad 4 which is smaller. The iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS and even 4 are obsolete. The iPad 1 & 2 are obsolete. But the iPad 3 is perfect for those who need it for nothing more than email, internet, music and something like Candy Crush. While the iPad 4 is for the more heavy users or those who insist on having the newest best thing. Or even those people who know that this is the only device they'll buy for 3-4 years so get the best now. If all Apple had was the 4 & mini many potential buyers not looking for a heavy hitter device would look elsewhere for a cheaper device to do those simple things. But keeping the 3 those same buyers may not look elsewhere.

iPhone 4S 6.1.2 jailbroke :) iPad 3 6.1.3 not jailbroke :(

Last edited:

Thatsux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the Ipad3 fits to your activities concerning its hardware ... why not paying 200 bucks less = )

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for the record. The current models world wide on apple's web sites are iPad mini, iPad 2 , and iPad retina or 4th generation iPad. The iPad 3 was discontinued when the 4the generation was released in Nov 2012 . It is possible that some inventory is available in USA however it would limited. If you can find an iPad 3 and that is what you want make sure it is not refurbished. It is your choice

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to decide for yourself if you want to pay $200 extra for the 4. I will tell you that I much perfer the lightning connector to the old 30 pin connector. If you don't have a lot of other apple devices with the 30 pin connector, get the 4 because it has a lightning connector which you will be seeing on all future apple devices.

Now, I have not met a game yet that can't be played on my iPad 3 64GB, so just because the 4 is faster doesn't mean that the 3 is some slouch that is good for only email.

Obviously, if you are tight on cash, the 3 may be better. But if not, get the 4. Or better yet, wait until fall and get the new, lighter, sleeker 5, which is bound to appear. It will likely cost the same as the 4 does now. Unless you're cash tight or in a blind hurry, waiting is the better game.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've heard that some game apps like XCOM and Deus Ex will only play well on the iPad 4 and iPhone 5. I wouldn't go with the iPad 3. In fact, I suspect part of the reason the iPad 4 was rushed to market was because the 3rd gen was a bit under powered.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Ouch. What does that make the iPad 2 then? A dinosaur relic? :)

Every user has different needs. For all of the clamoring about new and better hardware, even my clunky iPad 2 runs ever game and app I throw at it. Including fairly new games and some of the high end racing games. The display is certainly better on the newer models but I don't think hardware makes as much of a difference for most users as we are led to believe. As time goes on this will change but it seems that iPads have pretty good staying power and the hardware isn't such a crutch after all. A least not for most people. I think heavy gamers are the ones who benefit the most from the latest and greatest. The rest of us just won't use all that beef.

The iPad 3 is a fine device and you get the beautiful display. If it will work for someone then they should get it.

Most reactions

Latest posts