What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Android phones and tablets use a different os. My phone is froyo and my tablet is honeycomb. Some Android tablets use the same os as the phones but Android, like web os, is moving away from 1 size fits all. If ios5 were doing the same thing I would have held off on my Tab but as is the ipad is going once again to be more like an ipod than a Mac
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

I see what you're saying about the different Android OSes, but I would argue that their different iterations of the same platform, similar to how people call the iPad a giant iPod touch. Honeycomb is just froyo or gingerbread scaled up, written and coded to minimize problems with upscaling. Your situation is one where I think Android is a better choice. :)

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Android phones and tablets use a different os. My phone is froyo and my tablet is honeycomb. Some Android tablets use the same os as the phones but Android, like web os, is moving away from 1 size fits all. If ios5 were doing the same thing I would have held off on my Tab but as is the ipad is going once again to be more like an ipod than a Mac
Support Our Troops!!

I see what you're saying about the different Android OSes, but I would argue that their different iterations of the same platform, similar to how people call the iPad a giant iPod touch. Honeycomb is just froyo or gingerbread scaled up, written and coded to minimize problems upscaling

Apple left that part up to the developers. That has its advantages over another os .
Yes the ipad is a giant ipod touch but that's not derogatory at to be considered that. The ipod touch is no slouch of a device and if it had the real estate for a bigger screen and keyboard it would be an ipad. When my Windows mobile phone broke I was deciding between another Windows phone or an ipod touch and a mifi, Android never entered the equation until the Incredible came out. It is so close in physical size to my Omnia it even fit the holster with the standard battery. That, honestly, is why I went Android on my phone . Ios5 is why I went back to Android on my tablet.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use an iPad and android phone. I hope this qualifies me to compare.

First, I don't want to ignore hardware. I find it hard to separate iOS from the hardware, unlike with android. I really like the feel of apple devices. They seem well built. The single configuration is a great benefit to those who like to accessorize their devices. But you pay a price in dollars for these advantages, I think.

As far as operating systems overall, I prefer android. I prefer the file management system of android. I also really like the android widgets (missing from iOS). The flexibility and customization ability of android sets it ahead of iOS, as well. And, in the end, there is nothing I cannot do on Android that I can do on iOS. Unfortunately, there ARE things I can do on Android that I CANNOT do on iOS.

As far as strengths of the apple OS: I like the safari web browser on the iPad, and prefer it to any of those I have tried on android and windows mobile. There may also be some advantage in app availability, but I have not noticed anything that I care about.

Both are working well for me, though, and I would not consider it a mistake to use either one.

Reaction score
I use an iPad and android phone. I hope this qualifies me to compare.

First, I don't want to ignore hardware. I find it hard to separate iOS from the hardware, unlike with android. I really like the feel of apple devices. They seem well built. The single configuration is a great benefit to those who like to accessorize their devices. But you pay a price in dollars for these advantages, I think.

As far as operating systems overall, I prefer android. I prefer the file management system of android. I also really like the android widgets (missing from iOS). The flexibility and customization ability of android sets it ahead of iOS, as well. And, in the end, there is nothing I cannot do on Android that I can do on iOS. Unfortunately, there ARE things I can do on Android that I CANNOT do on iOS.

As far as strengths of the apple OS: I like the safari web browser on the iPad, and prefer it to any of those I have tried on android and windows mobile. There may also be some advantage in app availability, but I have not noticed anything that I care about.

Both are working well for me, though, and I would not consider it a mistake to use either one.

I agree, everything by Apple feels more luxurious in the hand , beautiful to behold and handle.
As far as accessories they are all a rip off no matter what device it's for.

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SoCalGal said:
Well said!

Thank ya! I loved my Droid X until the Gingerbread update, getting an X2 as a replacement from Asurion (long story, don't try it), and am considering trying to find a way to trade it up to an iPhone.

I can't imagine swapping my DroidX for an iPhone. I recently wiped my x and did a "from scratch" gingerbread install and it is totally awesome.

I handle our corporate cell account at work and we have both DroidX an iPhones. I could have a new iPhone for free anytime I wanted it, but I would never switch.

I do like my ipad2 better than any currently available android tablet however.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
I can't imagine swapping my DroidX for an iPhone. I recently wiped my x and did a "from scratch" gingerbread install and it is totally awesome.

I handle our corporate cell account at work and we have both DroidX an iPhones. I could have a new iPhone for free anytime I wanted it, but I would never switch.

I do like my ipad2 better than any currently available android tablet however.

Do me a favor. Switch your camera to the 8mp setting and close it out. After the camera application clears from the memory, open it back up. Let me know if it's back to the widescreen mode.

OP
S

SoCalGal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Loving all the comparisons! BTW I have an HTC Incredible phone and love it which is what inclined me to purchase The Galaxy tablet. I played around on it for bout a week and exchanged it for my iPad2. Froyo on the HTC phone is much better than Honeycomb on the Galaxy tab. I'm enjoying learning the world iOS now. But very different IMO and if my HTC Android came in the size of a tablet....I'd love it!

dj_in_cleveland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, have an android phone and an ipad2.

As others have mentioned, both have advantages and disadvantages.

While I do like my droid x and the control or customization I have over it, crashing/freezing, and/or things not working right does get frustrating some times.

I had the opportunity to try the galaxy tab and saw similar challenges. I decided to go with the ipad2.

While I wish my ipad2 offered me a bit more control, the dang thing just works, and works well.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
TheDanishDanger said:
Just returned my galaxy tab 10.1 because it was HORRIBLE!! apps constantly crashing. Camera, browser everything. $600 for an unstable unusable piece of crap. Gonna enjoy my new ipad2 soon.

Android tablets have a LONG way to go.

Reaction score
I, too, have an android phone and an ipad2.

As others have mentioned, both have advantages and disadvantages.

While I do like my droid x and the control or customization I have over it, crashing/freezing, and/or things not working right does get frustrating some times.

I had the opportunity to try the galaxy tab and saw similar challenges. I decided to go with the ipad2.

While I wish my ipad2 offered me a bit more control, the dang thing just works, and works well.

Maybe it's just me but out of 200+apps on my phone only tapatalk acts up about twice a week. I never get crashes or freezes on my phone beyond tapatalk force closing with the last update on Googletalkplus.net.which I have reported to the developer, something not automatically capable on my ipad. I've got 17 custom widgets, a custom launcher, custom multiple live wallpaper, all of which can be very taxing on the os once I throw in multi task but it performs fine day in and out and has done so for almost a year.
I wish I could state that with my ipad. It closes several times a day on no particular app with any pattern except deleting more than 10 emails at a time from my Verizon account crashes every time. My wife and kids use the ipads for a lot less strenuous activity to the os than I do and they have the same problem. A lack of ram is my best guess.
My Tab has frozen twice and I have reported the offending app and since got an update that fixed the force close problem of Maxthon browser. The only app, again well over 100 on my Tab, that doesn't work right is Camera 360, which I have on my phone as well, and I only use it on my phone for night shots. I've got 31 custom widgets, custom multiple wallpaper on it with no seeming show down or glitches
I guess I've been lucky with my Android experience because I haven't had nearly the number of problems I see others write about yet have had nothing but problems on 3 ipad 1s with crashes and freezes

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mbmark, it's not just you -I have so many apps in my DroidX that I lost count a long time ago and the thing runs perfectly. A lot of the problems are user created same as with any system. One of my coworkers had a DroidX that he was CONSTANTLY complaining about. I finally got sick of hearing it and offered to take a look at it.

I did an SBF and then a factory reset to put it back to a clean froyo install, then installed GB as the next step. He is absolutely AMAZED at how it runs now and is absolutely in love with it. He was ready to dump it and switch to an iPhone but he has changed his mind now. Personally, I love both phones myself. I could be perfectly happy with either an X or an iPhone but I do slightly prefer the Droid as it has so many more ways you can customize it.

craftypepper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Android is more customizable and less restrictive when compared to a non-jailbroken iPad or iPhone. However, I prefer iOS leaps and bounds. I find it easier to use and more stable. I have a relatively recently released Android phone and have had nothing but problems when it comes to performance and reliability. I will be sticking with Apple products from now on.

Reaction score
The biggest reason I see folks having problems on Android is from using task killers. They are worse than a virus. Verizon and other carriers will tell the owner they need one, often like they did me, installing it with or without permission and setting on super kill and have no clue what they have just done to the customers new phone then turn them over to tech support that assumes a factory reset is the only solution when the phone goes haywire

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts