What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Customizing the ipad homescreen

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO, this is the one thing that Android destroys Apple on... Customization.

As far as I can tell, Apple allows you to rearrange icons, make folders, and change wallpapers... But that's about it.

With Android, you can do all that, plus there are countless customizable widgets, live wallpapers, multiple screen transitions, and the list goes on.

Now I do realize that some of Androids customizability also means less stability... And if this is the reason Apple limits it's user customizability then I understand.

But it would be really nice to tweak my iPads home screen a little bit more.

Am I missing some options? What else can be done other than changing the wallpaper, creating folders, and rearranging icons?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Howabout this for customization:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMrj12guqPE[/ame]

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO, this is the one thing that Android destroys Apple on... Customization.

With Android, you can do all that, plus there are countless customizable widgets, live wallpapers, multiple screen transitions, and the list goes on.

Yes, but functionality is only as meaningful as the users who want it. If the majority of iPad users are perfectly happy with the interface (without resorting to jailbreak or ditching it altogether for another device), then it does not matter how much "better" Android's functionality is - because (and this probably sounds worse than it really is) nobody cares.

OP
D

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Yes, but functionality is only as meaningful as the users who want it. If the majority of iPad users are perfectly happy with the interface (without resorting to jailbreak or ditching it altogether for another device), then it does not matter how much "better" Android's functionality is - because (and this probably sounds worse than it really is) nobody cares.

I see the apple fanboys are coming out quick. Just because Android offers better customizability than Apple does, doesn't mean that "nobody cares". There's no question that iPads have a great interface but many users out there would still like to better personalize their tablets... Me included. I'm simply asking, as a new apple user... Are there more ways to customize my tablet than the basic methods mentioned above?

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Jailbroken iPad 1stgen and there's so many customizations that blow android out the water! I'm looking forward to Jailbreaking my iPad 2. If your Jailbroke, I recommend SmartScreen, which gives you all kinds of sweet lock screen widgets you can place any where.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:

Now this is what I'm talking about. I'm not sold on jail breaking my device but I'm guessing I'd have to if I wanted this kind of customization.

Yes you would but just an fyi it is legal to jailbreak your device.

And if you can put your device into DFU mode that is all you physcially need to do...rest is done by the software. And believe me if there was an issue with the current JB process you would see multiple threads here about the issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts