What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The biggest reason I see folks having problems on Android is from using task killers. They are worse than a virus. Verizon and other carriers will tell the owner they need one, often like they did me, installing it with or without permission and setting on super kill and have no clue what they have just done to the customers new phone then turn them over to tech support that assumes a factory reset is the only solution when the phone goes haywire

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Yup. Your comments are instructive. I've been through the wars over task killers in the Android (smartphone) environment and have despaired over the ignorance of carrier staff (Verizon most notably but probably just because they have the largest market share) about the Android OS and how to manage it. Appropriately managed and used, Android is a great smartphone OS. (Can't speak personally about its viability in the tablet market.)

On the other hand, your comment also highlights an important fact about Android; it requires a user to manage the device in a way that iOS does not. The very customizability and extensive multi-tasking Android offers also means that users must manage their device and have enough knowledge of how multi-tasking works to avoid "solutions" like task killers that do far more harm than good.

I like my Droid smartphone very much. I like it even better now that I use it for far fewer tasks than when I didn't also have an iPad for many of those tasks.

For those who resent the paternalistic Apple philosophy Android-based devices are a great alternative. But for the millions of consumers who couldn't care less about "multi-tasking" as long as they can listen to music while surfing the web, the iPad (and the limited multi-tasking of iOS) is likely to be a better choice.

P.S. By the way, another implication of this difference is that you can count on Apple to resist in every possible way efforts to "jailbreak" their devices, much less opening their devices to more varied, customizable user experiences. Apple has no incentive to "open up" iOS. Maintaining uniformity in the user experience pays off very well for them. Just as Google has very different incentives that enable manufacturers and users to customize their devices.

Last edited:

iPad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipad3-release.com
The biggest reason I see folks having problems on Android is from using task killers. They are worse than a virus. Verizon and other carriers will tell the owner they need one, often like they did me, installing it with or without permission and setting on super kill and have no clue what they have just done to the customers new phone then turn them over to tech support that assumes a factory reset is the only solution when the phone goes haywire

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Yup. Your comments are instructive. I've been through the wars over task killers in the Android (smartphone) environment and have despaired over the ignorance of carrier staff (Verizon most notably but probably just because they have the largest market share) about the Android OS and how to manage it. Appropriately managed and used, Android is a great smartphone OS. (Can't speak personally about its viability in the tablet market.)

On the other hand, your comment also highlights an important fact about Android; it requires a user to manage the device in a way that iOS does not. The very customizability and extensive multi-tasking Android offers also means that users must manage their device and have enough knowledge of how multi-tasking works to avoid "solutions" like task killers that do far more harm than good.

I like my Droid smartphone very much. I like it even better now that I use it for far fewer tasks than when I didn't also have an iPad for many of those tasks.

For those who resent the paternalistic Apple philosophy Android-based devices are a great alternative. But for the millions of consumers who couldn't care less about "multi-tasking" as long as they can listen to music while surfing the web, the iPad (and the limited multi-tasking of iOS) is likely to be a better choice.

P.S. By the way, another implication of this difference is that you can count on Apple to resist in every possible way efforts to "jailbreak" their devices, much less opening their devices to more varied, customizable user experiences. Apple has no incentive to "open up" iOS. Maintaining uniformity in the user experience pays off very well for them. Just as Google has very different incentives that enable manufacturers and users to customize their devices.

I couldn't agree more, Android is better for the involved user. Most of consumers aren't that, they want something to work, that's it. That's what Apple does so well, they make things that work. Are the restrictive and tied down? Yes. But due to that closed environment they work wonderfully and as expected. It all depends on what you want out of your device.

advinpitersen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad runs the aforementioned operating system as the iPod Touch and iPhone and can run its own applications while Android is a software assemblage for adaptable accessories that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications.

Reaction score
Do you mean like the usb adaptor I have on the way that allows me to connect a mouse, keyboard, jump drive, sdcard reader, etc and transfer media back and forth? It's been on back order until Friday when it finally shipped. An ios alternative would be really cool . I have a camera kit for my ipad and prefer an add on instead of a thicker device with ports on board. That way I can have both, a thin device and the ability to transfer media back and forth.
I'll post back when the adapter arrives to compare it to the camera kit on the ipad, which I really like using.

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

d3vkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually own both an original Droid and an Asus transformer - no apple products at all - but found this thread so interesting I just had to post. First of all, its great to see some unobjective, non-inflammatory posting about either os. It has actually answered a lot of my questions about the differences in ios and android.
I did want to throw in my two cents about the transformer. For the first week I left it on 3.0.1 os and had a lot of problems. Random browser crashes and reboots. I thought, "if this keeps up I can't keep this thing". Decided to install the update that Asus had released but had not arrived OTA yet for me. Since then, the os has been pretty rock solid, and I love it. I would love the build quality of an ipad2, but the functionality of my tablet is wonderful.
My Droid however feels very dated and i can't wait to ditch it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I actually own both an original Droid and an Asus transformer - no apple products at all - but found this thread so interesting I just had to post. First of all, its great to see some unobjective, non-inflammatory posting about either os. It has actually answered a lot of my questions about the differences in ios and android.
I did want to throw in my two cents about the transformer. For the first week I left it on 3.0.1 os and had a lot of problems. Random browser crashes and reboots. I thought, "if this keeps up I can't keep this thing". Decided to install the update that Asus had released but had not arrived OTA yet for me. Since then, the os has been pretty rock solid, and I love it. I would love the build quality of an ipad2, but the functionality of my tablet is wonderful.
My Droid however feels very dated and i can't wait to ditch it.

Your og IS very dated :D
I see nothing wrong with ios, just like I have nothing against my wifes van or daughters Honda. I just prefer Android like I prefer to drive my truck, flaws and all

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

dbeth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Android phone and my new iPad, and to be honest, the ONLY thing I would like from the Android OS is the ability to customize my screens with widgets and the placement of my icons. Outside of that, I enjoy both iOS and Android equally.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
dbeth said:
i have an android phone and my new ipad, and to be honest, the only thing i would like from the android os is the ability to customize my screens with widgets and the placement of my icons. Outside of that, i enjoy both ios and android equally.

qft.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every need is different. However, the latest research shows that a majority of Android users are planning on buying an iPad over the other tablets. All I know is that when they first came out with the iPhone and iPod Touch, I was impressed, but not enough to buy one, instead of the G2 iPod Nano I bought. While I loved the capabilities of the Touch, the screen was still too small for my taste. And I saw no advantages of the iPhone over my Motorola flip phone. Not enough to go with an open front phone vs a flip phone. Yet, the moment they announced the iPad, I knew it was what I had waited for. I have tried the Xoom, Galaxie Tab, and read the reviews of others. As much as people have been wanting a iPad killer, none of the products introduced over the past year and half have been considered any type of competition. Apple hit the target exactly with the iPad.

I see little taking on the iPad juggernaut. Some of the apps leave a little bit to be desired and could use improvements. On a whim, I just bought the Star Trek interface today. Gimmicky, but obviously designed by the Borg.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you mean like the usb adaptor I have on the way that allows me to connect a mouse, keyboard, jump drive, sdcard reader, etc and transfer media back and forth? It's been on back order until Friday when it finally shipped. An ios alternative would be really cool . I have a camera kit for my ipad and prefer an add on instead of a thicker device with ports on board. That way I can have both, a thin device and the ability to transfer media back and forth.
I'll post back when the adapter arrives to compare it to the camera kit on the ipad, which I really like using.

OK, now I'm starting to get jealous. :D I'll be looking forward to hearing about how all that works...

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad runs the aforementioned operating system as the iPod Touch and iPhone and can run its own applications while Android is a software assemblage for adaptable accessories that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications.

If you have time, please elaborate...

d3vkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, right after posting that the random crashes had become less frequent, they became more frequent again. The stock honeycomb browser is notorious for slow js and crashing. At the moment probably the biggest pain of my tablet.
Ike I said, I don't own an ios device, but from my limited use of the ipad the main differences are Widgets and the app drawer, both of which I like quite a bit. There are still some apps I'd love to see in android, especially some that are apple made so no chance of ever seeing them come over, but for the most part I've not felt like there is any noticeable lack of apps. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had an ipad to directly compare to.
I'm kind of at a point where I see there being no ipad killer simply because the two systems differ and offer different things, each with flaws and each with strengths. Apple definitely has the look and feel down, and for most that is the deciding factor. Just as iOS5 will bring a lot of sorely needed features of android to iOS, I have hope that future iterations of android will start to have the polish of iOS.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably been mentioned that the winner of the android/apple 'war' is us. I have both platforms. Tech wars, market share battles, product positioning.....ain't it grand!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably been mentioned that the winner of the android/apple 'war' is us. I have both platforms. Tech wars, market share battles, product positioning.....ain't it grand!

It is grand, and the competition is just starting to heat up. We are at the beginning of a great paradigm shift to tablets and amazing peripherals. :)

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use both, prefer Android but both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Android seems more user friendly to me because I can customize the user tools like the keyboard, widgets,music format, etc.
With my ipad everything has to be done according to a set set of standards with variations of it. Android lets me choose not only the theme of a keyboard but if I want to slide, type, slide in a circle, etc. I can also set my home screen to where I want what instead of how Apple perceives my style should be. I like my icons along ever bottom only, the last place my ipad fills .
True multi task is my favorite feature though, not just a double tap of the home screen to go back to an app that paused while using another.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Well the way the multitasking works as far as I'm aware is that it uses APIs for networking, sound and other common stuff but otherwise the app freezes, yes.

I actually agree to some extent about the keyboard and greater customisation of Android tablets in comparison to the iPad. But I guess Apple made a technical/user experience decision to have it the way it is. Apple execs probably know it wont suit everyone and that people will choose Android for that reason.

The iPad is all-round a great device in regards to the software but Android is pretty good as well especially considering you can customise the user interface. It's suffice to say that many people choose Android because of the ability to change nearly every aspect of the user interface and the openness to lots more apps than what Apple allows. In general it's a preference thing really.

It is grand, and the competition is just starting to heat up. We are at the beginning of a great paradigm shift to tablets and amazing peripherals. :)

Absolutely! It's exciting to see where the tablet form factor is going and the innovation that will be happening especially on the software side of things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions