iPad viewing and eyestrain ?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by NateBW, Aug 22, 2010.

1. wrecklass

wrecklass
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I am fifty something and have had corrective lenses for about a decade. I have always had excellent eyesite, but the usual aging process caught up. You know "my arms don't seem to be long enough to hold a book at the right distance" syndrome.

I have read books on an iPod, Kindle (1), Kindle DX, and now the iPad in many lighting conditions.

I suffer from Migrains and occasionally I get occular migrains, which you are aware means I see "electrical like patterns" moving across my eyesight. When this occurs I have to take a break from reading and allow my vision to clear. It was very alarming the first time this occured, and is the reason I now wear reading glasses.

I can say for me that the Kindle's reflective lighting solution is much easier for me to read for long periods with. I do a lot of technical reading as a Software Engineer. I can spend several hours focused on reading. The backlit displays are much harder on my eyes and require frequent rest periods to allow my eyes to relax. I almost never suffer the occular migrains while reading with a Kindle. It occurs quite frequently with the iPad unless I rest my eyes regularly.

For those of the younger set claiming that people are trying to invent a new syndrome, you couldn't be more wrong. As the saying goes, you will understand once you get older. In the meantime you can just assume you know better :D

Learn to take care of your eyes now, you will appreciate it when you still have good eyesite later.

2. NateBW

NateBW
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, breaks will be a main point in the article. As will larger screen size, as you mention.

3. NateBW

NateBW
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes, prevention is better than treatment. :)

It is also true that much of this comes down to individual preferences and environment. What may work for one person may not be great for another.

4. The Alternative

The Alternative
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Prior to owning an iPad I've had three generations of Sony Readers and read between 20 and 40 books per year. While the eink gray screens of the Sony models are great to read and give one the feeling of reading paper books I find the iPad experience much more enjoyable. The fonts are clearer and the backlighting better. As for eye strain? I've never really experienced that particular problem with either type.

5. ctillerjr

ctillerjr
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Here is an EXCELLENT way to reduce eyestrain while reading on your Ipad.

This has moved my Kindle in the sell/put back in the box mode permanently!

Use the Dark Theme for Night-time Reading in any App!
    Wouldn’t it be nice if you could bring iBooks style night-reading mode to all the other apps on your iPad /iPhone?
    There’s an easy workaround. On your iOS device, tap the Settings icon and choose General – > Accessibility – > Triple-click Home and and set it to “Toggle White on Black.â€

Press the Home button to exit Settings and launch any reading app. Triple-click the Home button on your iOS device in quick succession and it should enable white-on-black effect quite similar to iBooks Night mode. Triple-click again to switch to normal mode. Simple!

#15 ctillerjr, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. bookdoc

bookdoc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use the light beige page which looks like parchment and about 60% brightness and find this comfortable.

7. iJamesH

iJamesH
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The Retina Display is excellent for those who suffer eye strain.