What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading on ipad - not good for eyes?

ipad4 newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched on the forum and my particular question is different than all the threads about reading on the ipad. Those threads talks about how you folks don't get eyestrain from reading on the ipad as long as you take a break. Also theres some suggesting to lower the backlight. Generally all good things.

My question is that I have been told reading on the ipad is like watching tv or working on your computer. Your eyesight will get worse and worse each year. I work in the office and stare at my computer 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. I wear contact lens/glasses and I feel that my eyesight increases every year. Would using the ipad make my eyesight worse as well and just add on top of my already used eyes (on the computer/watching tv) and make it worse?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I searched on the forum and my particular question is different than all the threads about reading on the ipad. Those threads talks about how you folks don't get eyestrain from reading on the ipad as long as you take a break. Also theres some suggesting to lower the backlight. Generally all good things.

My question is that I have been told reading on the ipad is like watching tv or working on your computer. Your eyesight will get worse and worse each year. I work in the office and stare at my computer 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. I wear contact lens/glasses and I feel that my eyesight increases every year. Would using the ipad make my eyesight worse as well and just add on top of my already used eyes (on the computer/watching tv) and make it worse?

Hi ipad4...welcome to the forum! Your question is a very valid question, however, seems to me that your optometrist or your ophthmalogist may be the one you should have this conversation with. It's hard to say without going into other co-morbidities that you may have that might influence your vision indirectly. However, always best to give your eyes a break for any kind of reading or constant gaze. Just like giving your neck and back a break from long durations of sitting. Always good to be in the habit of taking breaks and walking around to reduce muscular tension.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Speaking as an old guy, in my experience eyes get worse every year no matter what you do. It's just one of the rewards for not dying. :)

Well, until you get cataract surgery, anyway. Then, your distance vision may get better than it's ever been in your life.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Esquire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read that one of iPad's feature (I dont remember which one) exercise some eye muscles. I couldt find the source now but I dont know if it is true.

Most reactions