What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad v ipad mini

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I think that's mostly the case now, but will change as the balance tips toward ownership of iPad 3, 4 and beyond. None of us knows when that will be, and we can't tell which developers will continue to support a variety of apps.

Best to buy knowing what you're getting now, and what could be in store for your device. Personally, I've already noticed my iPad 2 showing its limitations in apps crashing, and slowness and crashes on graphic-rich websites. That's because of its limited RAM, which is the same in iPad mini. YMMV, of course.

Haven't notice it yet. I thought I had with gran thief auto crashing on load....it crashed on the mini and the 3. FAQ said to unload apps...did that, still crashed on mini but started working on the 3. Thought it was due to less ram...but then the 3 started crashing regardless.

Maybe I don't do to as many websites as some, though, but I have not noticed any crashing on the mini yet.

The weight difference is a biggie, though. The iPad 3 in as case is just heavy....I think the mini opens up more usage modes for me. Still, whenever I put the mini down and pick up the 3, I marvel at the retina screen.

I may end up getting two new iPads come march, it all depends on what the feature sets are. I think a retina mini will be instant buy for me. For the full size iPad, I want it lighter with more storage, and a different body design. Give me 128 GB on both and I'll be totally happy, I think. Apple needs to find new ways to deliver a premium device without all the cold metal (on an issue in winter).

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't notice it yet. I thought I had with gran thief auto crashing on load....it crashed on the mini and the 3. FAQ said to unload apps...did that, still crashed on mini but started working on the 3. Thought it was due to less ram...but then the 3 started crashing regardless.

Maybe I don't do to as many websites as some, though, but I have not noticed any crashing on the mini yet.

The weight difference is a biggie, though. The iPad 3 in as case is just heavy....I think the mini opens up more usage modes for me. Still, whenever I put the mini down and pick up the 3, I marvel at the retina screen.

I may end up getting two new iPads come march, it all depends on what the feature sets are. I think a retina mini will be instant buy for me. For the full size iPad, I want it lighter with more storage, and a different body design. Give me 128 GB on both and I'll be totally happy, I think. Apple needs to find new ways to deliver a premium device without all the cold metal (on an issue in winter).

I'd love a 128 GB iPad, no matter the size or the screen. Lighter weight would be a bonus. I don't want to sacrifice battery life, though.

Justinian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I handled both the iPad 2 and 4 and the Mini, and chose the Mini because of it is so light and slim, and much more portable. The full size iPad, especially the Gen. 4 was tempting, but after holding the Mini, I found it too heavy and cumbersome for my needs.

Justinian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPad 3, and an iPhone 4S, so that's why I think that an iPad mini is perfect for some people that only want to use just one option. What's your opinion?
I agree with you. I have an iPhone 4s (soon to upgrade to iPhone 5), so I bought the iPad mini to go with it. I did not need to spend an extra $130 for cellular + the added cost of using cellular with Verizon because if I need to access the Internet without a WiFi hotspot, I can just use my iPhone for that.

lesfield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just sold my 3G ipad2 and now waiting delivery of my wifi mini. love the big screen of the ipad2 but its too heavy. And I'm only going for wifi because I plan to teather it to my iPhone5

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just sold my 3G ipad2 and now waiting delivery of my wifi mini. love the big screen of the ipad2 but its too heavy. And I'm only going for wifi because I plan to teather it to my iPhone5

I have the iPad mini and I like the weight versus the full-size iPads. The size is perfect for a portable device and I don't even notice the lack of retina. I'm also planning to tether the mini to my iPhone 4S.

xTyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
I have the iPad mini and I like the weight versus the full-size iPads. The size is perfect for a portable device and I don't even notice the lack of retina. I'm also planning to tether the mini to my iPhone 4S.

I use my DROID BIONIC (rooted) to tether my mini anywhere I'm at with my 4G LTE it's super fast (THAT DUAL BAND WIFI IS MAGNIFICENT!)

nickp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used the iPad2 since it came out and recently purchased the mini. My main motivation was size and weight. The size was just rightto fit into my briefcase easily and the weight was perfectly balanced when holding for extended periods. Another benefit to the size is the keyboad spacing. I have rather large hands and typing on the iPad 2 could be challenging when in landscape mode. On the mini, it just fits nicely in your palms and typing is effortless.

Now my wife and son enjoy the 2 while I travel with the mini. Oh ya.....not to mention LTE rocks, which my 2 did not have.

Most reactions

Latest posts