What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Discussion

doublesixes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a wifi only 16 GB mini, black and love it but l also use an Acer Iconia (android 4.03) and these are the main differences I noticed:

The mini is noticeably faster when scrolling web pages. Basically there's no lag, making the whole experience less frustrating.

When running 3d games, like Beach Buggy Blitz, the mini kicks butt. I have to use the lowest settings on the Iconia to match the highest setting on the mini.

Video chatting with Skype and Facetime is much better on the mini. Better sound and mic.

Maps really suck on the mini. Google maps isn't even available for my mini.

Well, the overall quality of the mini makes it the superior piece of hardware but honestly, there are some issues that most of you would never notice if you never used an advanced version of Android. For example, the Iconia has always, on the screen, a taskbar that offers must have functions at the finger tip. The mini has that hideous side button, like all iPads, to access those functions I'm talking about.
iOS feels refined and quick but I would have preferred better multitasking capabilities, a software taskbar and Flash support. Yes, I still consume a ton of Flash content and although Puffin on my mini helps somewhat, the Iconia has the upper hand when streaming TV series and movies.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doublesixes said:
I have a wifi only 16 GB mini, black and love it but l also use an Acer Iconia (android 4.03) and these are the main differences I noticed:

The mini is noticeably faster when scrolling web pages. Basically there's no lag, making the whole experience less frustrating.

When running 3d games, like Beach Buggy Blitz, the mini kicks butt. I have to use the lowest settings on the Iconia to match the highest setting on the mini.

Video chatting with Skype and Facetime is much better on the mini. Better sound and mic.

Maps really suck on the mini. Google maps isn't even available for my mini.

Well, the overall quality of the mini makes it the superior piece of hardware but honestly, there are some issues that most of you would never notice if you never used an advanced version of Android. For example, the Iconia has always, on the screen, a taskbar that offers must have functions at the finger tip. The mini has that hideous side button, like all iPads, to access those functions I'm talking about.
iOS feels refined and quick but I would have preferred better multitasking capabilities, a software taskbar and Flash support. Yes, I still consume a ton of Flash content and although Puffin on my mini helps somewhat, the Iconia has the upper hand when streaming TV series and movies.

Google maps is available as an iPhone App which can be installed on your iPad Mini.

The Archangel

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
n4uau said:
I was looking for some replies to this part of the original question but see none. So no one is using protection?

Just wondering what everyone is using in terms of protection

If by protection, you mean anti-virus programs, there's no need for them. In fact, there are no anti virus apps in the AppStore. There aren't any known viruses that can infect a stock iPad.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking for some replies to this part of the original question but see none. So no one is using protection?

Just wondering what everyone is using in terms of protection

I assumed "protection" meant cases or covers... lol. I guess it could also mean antivirus or warranty protection too. What are you asking about?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... Just to update, I got yet another case for my mini. This Zagg (keys) Mini: 7" keyboard for iPad mini. I will be using it interchangebly with my Targus case and my Point Mobl sleeve. So far I like the Zagg and am typing on it now. I will reserve final judgment on it till I've spent more time with it but it is thin and light and seems to be working pretty well. One thing though... the caps lock key works fine in the Notes app but I noticed on this forum it has a different function... for example: caps lock + I makes things italic instead of making a capital I.... frustrating cause I ussually use capslock to write capital letters instead of shift... but oh well. Other then that it is a well constructed case and seems like it will offer good protection. Time will tell. it costs $89.99 at Verizon Wireless where I got it. It works off of Bluetooth. If anyone knows how I can fix the caps lock problem please let me know. It's not a deal breaker but a little frustrating nonetheless. The case also has a stand in the back to prop up the mini in landscape for typing.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16 GB wifi/LTE Mini. I use it on the go, but lately I've been using it at home too. I'm surprised by how much I like it- I had always said that I didn't see the need for the Mini, since I have a regular sized ipad.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... Just to update, I got yet another case for my mini. This Zagg (keys) Mini: 7" keyboard for iPad mini. I will be using it interchangebly with my Targus case and my Point Mobl sleeve. So far I like the Zagg and am typing on it now. I will reserve final judgment on it till I've spent more time with it but it is thin and light and seems to be working pretty well. One thing though... the caps lock key works fine in the Notes app but I noticed on this forum it has a different function... for example: caps lock + I makes things italic instead of making a capital I.... frustrating cause I ussually use capslock to write capital letters instead of shift... but oh well. Other then that it is a well constructed case and seems like it will offer good protection. Time will tell. it costs $89.99 at Verizon Wireless where I got it. It works off of Bluetooth. If anyone knows how I can fix the caps lock problem please let me know. It's not a deal breaker but a little frustrating nonetheless. The case also has a stand in the back to prop up the mini in landscape for typing.
Ipad cases are one of my addictions. ;) I'm using the Moko slim case right now. I bought it from Amazon for $7.99. I also ordered a hard shell for the back from Zazzle..it has a peacock and it's personalized with my name. I'll get the smart cover to go with that.

Last edited:

ericwalker425

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iforsakenu said:
Just wondering what everyone is using in terms of protection, apps, and media consumption for their minis. Also what capacity & color did you go with?

(White iPad Mini 32GB wifi, with Red Smart Cover)

I have a 64GB AT&T LTE ipad mini black with a blue/black griffin case, my apps is the great Evernote,onlive desktop ( I'm in college), docs to go, quick office,pagers,numbers,cloud on,Dropbox,I also have a lot of games and videos,

Sent from my iPad Mini

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ipad cases are one of my addictions. ;) I'm using the Moko slim case right now. I bought it from Amazon for $7.99. I also ordered a hard shell for the back from Zazzle..it has a peacock and it's personalized with my name. I'll get the smart cover to go with that.

I have an annoying addiction to iPad cases too. I like the moko slim. I wish someone else would make a Smart Cover for the mini. I think the apple is too expensive for what you get.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was only able to get a black one after Christmas but it doesn't matter too much. I put a purple book style case on it along with a Zagg screen protector. I did order extra cords and home and auto chargers and so far that is it. I don't really see needing much else.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have Apple care for protection; have 86 apps. What does "media consumption" mean?

It means you watch movies, read books & mags & articles, listen to music. Consume "media". Another new-fangled internet-age term. I suppose it could also mean you eat hard drives, floppy disc, and CDs...but.... :)

Most reactions

Latest posts