What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Discussion

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is using in terms of protection, apps, and media consumption for their minis. Also what capacity & color did you go with?

(White iPad Mini 32GB wifi, with Red Smart Cover)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Moving this out of the Poll section and have it placed in the iPad Mini section where you'll get better attention.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my mini a couple days ago... I use Evernote, nook app, kindle, YouTube and may install flipboard. 16GB/White... Using a slip case from PointMobl. It's a universal 8" case in black with an extra pocket for the charger. The case is a little loose around the mini but it's good protection for the mini in my backpack.

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quadtronix said:
Got my mini a couple days ago... I use Evernote, nook app, kindle, YouTube and may install flipboard. 16GB/White... Using a slip case from PointMobl. It's a universal 8" case in black with an extra pocket for the charger. The case is a little loose around the mini but it's good protection for the mini in my backpack.

Thanks for sharing. What is the main purpose for your mini purchase?

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16 gb wi-fi only in black. Had I known how much I would love it I would have went with the 32 gb. Anyway, I use a leather invellop case. I like it a lot. I have one in black, red, and blue. I basically use my mini when I'm out of the house. It fits easy in my purse so I use it to read or play my games or check my email while on the go.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. What is the main purpose for your mini purchase?

Mostly to browse the web. I spend a lot of time just reading articles and keeping up on the latest tech stories so having a comfortable device to hold is important to me... The iPad 2 is nice but it gets heavy after a while of reading. The mini is perfect in that respect. I also use the Nexus 7 but I figured the mini has a larger screen and still is comfortable in the hand so why not try it out. Got some $$ for Christmas so I picked up a mini. Also been reading nook books on it a little and downloaded YouTube app and watched some videos just to test it out. So far everything has worked flawlessly. :)

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quadtronix said:
Mostly to browse the web. I spend a lot of time just reading articles and keeping up on the latest tech stories so having a comfortable device to hold is important to me... The iPad 2 is nice but it gets heavy after a while of reading. The mini is perfect in that respect. I also use the Nexus 7 but I figured the mini has a larger screen and still is comfortable in the hand so why not try it out. Got some $$ for Christmas so I picked up a mini. Also been reading nook books on it a little and downloaded YouTube app and watched some videos just to test it out. So far everything has worked flawlessly. :)

How do you like the mini compared to the nexus 7? And I agree about the iPad 2/3/4 they tend to get cumbersome after a while, which is why I went to a mini & I'm loving it, great 1 handed device for the latest tech articles as I myself use it for.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... I love my N7, not gonna lie. It has been my go to device since September when I got it. But the mini has a larger screen, better battery life, thinner, more apps and better build quality. I use my N7 for a lot of things- calendar, email, ebooks, web, YouTube, g+, Facebook, twitter, magazines, currents, movies and games. But I think most if not all of those things can be done on the mini. I try to use my devices for as many different tasks as possible to get the most out of them and to be well rounded. But in the coming weeks and months I plan to put the mini to the test. I will be using it for email as well as my N7 plus ebooks, movies, games, and so on... But especially web. I consider myself an Internet addict. So we'll see if the mini can stand up to the N7 in the next few months. I'm finding it fun to find sites that have tablet versions like ExtremeTech and CultofMac and putting their icons on the home screen for easy access on the mini. Not sure if you can do that on the N7 even though there is a bookmark widget. Using those tablet optimized sites is a lot of fun on the mini. Time will tell which device I favor though. Too soon to make a final judgement yet.

amylyn1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an iPad 2 but because of the weight & size I just couldn't take it everywhere so I sold it and bought an N7. Very nice device, but I missed some of my apps & some other things from my iPad. The main app I used on my iPad was the Dish Network app so that I could watch stuff from my DVR while I was away. The Dish Network app was very glitchy on the N7. So, I finally decided to get an iPad Mini for myself for Christmas. Well, I can say I haven't put it down much since I got it. I absolutely love it. If you're an Android fan then you'll love the N7. It really is a nice device. I personally prefer the iPad Mini. The screen size is better & I just prefer iOS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quadtronix said:
Well... I love my N7, not gonna lie. It has been my go to device since September when I got it. But the mini has a larger screen, better battery life, thinner, more apps and better build quality. I use my N7 for a lot of things- calendar, email, ebooks, web, YouTube, g+, Facebook, twitter, magazines, currents, movies and games. But I think most if not all of those things can be done on the mini. I try to use my devices for as many different tasks as possible to get the most out of them and to be well rounded. But in the coming weeks and months I plan to put the mini to the test. I will be using it for email as well as my N7 plus ebooks, movies, games, and so on... But especially web. I consider myself an Internet addict. So we'll see if the mini can stand up to the N7 in the next few months. I'm finding it fun to find sites that have tablet versions like ExtremeTech and CultofMac and putting their icons on the home screen for easy access on the mini. Not sure if you can do that on the N7 even though there is a bookmark widget. Using those tablet optimized sites is a lot of fun on the mini. Time will tell which device I favor though. Too soon to make a final judgement yet.

The iPad Mini can in fact handle all of the task you mentioned that you use the N7 for. I myself prefer iOS, I do not like the fragmentation present in androids OS. Build quality and apps are second to none and the ecosystem is also another reason to enjoy apple. Together my entire network is seamless from the time capsule down to iOS devices and Mac OS.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
quadtronix said:

I have the mini and the N7, as well as the iPad 3 and the N10. They all are good devices. iOS has better apps, though, and I like apps and have many. Also, I find typing text on forums to be better on the iOS devices.

Gaming seems to work well on all of them, but I have seen the android devices start to get laggy under certain conditions. I've been playing some of the same games on different devices. You can see some clear differences between the two nexus devices, as I e has a tegra 3 and the other doesn't.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just picked up a new case: the Targus Vuscape for iPad mini. I got the black version of the case... My mini is white though. Just thought I'd update my previous post here since I was originally using the Point Mobil universal slip case for 8 inch tablets. I like the Targus much more! The mini snaps in pretty easy and the case snaps shut to protect the screen. There's a hole in the back for the camara and another for the Apple logo. There are six positions for the stand and the front cover is firm. The whole thing is light and slim, so much so that I was actually really surprised! Loving this case so far. Here's a link to the site-

Targus Vuscape

I got it at BestBuy for 39 but I had a gift certificate so it came to less. Might have been on sale too cause I think I saw it the other day at RadioShack for 50... Highly recommended!

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quadtronix said:
Just picked up a new case: the Targus Vuscape for iPad mini. I got the black version of the case... My mini is white though. Just thought I'd update my previous post here since I was originally using the Point Mobil universal slip case for 8 inch tablets. I like the Targus much more! The mini snaps in pretty easy and the case snaps shut to protect the screen. There's a hole in the back for the camara and another for the Apple logo. There are six positions for the stand and the front cover is firm. The whole thing is light and slim, so much so that I was actually really surprised! Loving this case so far. Here's a link to the site-

Targus Vuscape

I got it at BestBuy for 39 but I had a gift certificate so it came to less. Might have been on sale too cause I think I saw it the other day at RadioShack for 50... Highly recommended!

Thanks for sharing! I almost bought this case actually in red. Glad to know its a solid case and I will be ordering off of amazon this week:)

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a black 64 gb. I probably could have lived with 32 but I hate being limited. I got a rubberized case off ebay for it and its much easier to hold than the slippery cold aluminum backing. Also it makes me feel much better about the possible dropping accident with the rubber on the. And a screen protector.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was looking for some replies to this part of the original question but see none. So no one is using protection?

Just wondering what everyone is using in terms of protection

Most reactions

Latest posts