What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the iPad be connected to a TV?

Natalina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would like to watch a downloaded file on a big screen. Is it possible to connect my iPad to my TV (Panasonic HDMI)?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, if it is an ipad2. Simply purchase the HDMI adapter that will fit the output plug on the bottom of your iPad & connect HDMI cord from TV to the adaptor, adaptor to iPad. Choose the correct HDMI input choice on your tv settings video input screen & you should see an exact image of whatever your iPad currently has on screen.
My boys love it when we mirror Angry Birds from my iPad.
But we use my iPad to watch net available tv shows & an iTunes season pass of Dr. Who on our big screen tv as well. Mirroring is probably my most used feature on my iPad.

OP
N

Natalina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Nakedbabytoes. Sadly mine is not an iPad 2.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple tv would work, but I use the hdmi adapter. And the hdmi adapter works for iPad 1 as well as iPad 2 with no jailbreak. You just can't mirror.
Videos and such will play great.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a number of Apps which work really well with iPad 1, I use TVout Genie! for some of the things that other apps can't handle.

It would be useful if you told us what kind of file you are trying to display, it's likely that there will be an app for it.

The Archangel

OP
N

Natalina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for your help. I am watching something called clickstreamTV but I have no idea what kind of file it is.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure about HDMI output but I stream my 1 with an Apple TV. Any app that is able to stream has an Air Play icon--if you are upgraded to 5.0.1 you will find many apps and pages in Safari that will stream. I should add that occasionally you may need to do a double click of the home button and a swipe to the far left where you will see the Air Play icon and you can choose Apple TV there. I use it to stream music also (Pandora and many other stations as well plus Rhapsody though I generally stream it from my Touch).

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1, thanks for this. I'm going to try it. I use Apple TV a lot (podcasts, Vimeo, Netflix, my own photos, Flickr, etc) but this appears to give me even wider range of things possible to view. Worth a try until I get my Ipad 3 in the future.

Diane

ropatah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so you're saying that iPad 1 with IOS 5.0.1 can use AirPlay? That's news to me. I thought wireless streaming was only possible with iPad2? Am I wrong?

Most reactions

Latest posts