What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Unresponsive

zombie.vixen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm currently using mine as a coaster. So far that's the function iPad performs without endless hours of trouble shooting. After a hard day at the office it's the last thing I want to do. I'd be happy if I could do a little research surfing safari or opening up Facebook without it taking an hour. I've tried every tip. Closing background apps, restarting, resetting, changing DNS, checking DLink settings, etc.

I haven't tried to watch a movie or vid clip recently as I'm afraid my $700 coaster will make a hole in the wall I'd throw it at. Every other wireless device works great - and so did my coaster for the first six months or so.

If anybody could provide some not so obvious suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Let me know if you require any additional information. Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. First, I moved your issue to its own thread. You had posted to a thread that was over a year old and I'm afraid that it probably got lost in the mix... I also deleted the other, identical post you made today.

Hopefully, having your issue standing on it's one will aid others in seeing it (and so, hopefully, being able to help).

With that all said, can you please give more details. As in, what generation of iPad do you have running which iOS version? Did your problems start all at once or gradually? If all at once, do you remember what you were doing before your problem started? Do you get error messages? In other words, what is the specific issue with your iPad?

The more details you give, the more assistance we can, hopefully provide. Thanks.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, try restarting your router. Yes, I know everything else works. However routers can get picky about specific devices on occasion. And this happens fairly often with iPads.

While the router is off, go to Settings >General >Reset, and Reset All Network Settings.

Another good ideas is to check with your manufacture support site and make sure there aren't any firmware updates for the router. Older routers had a lot of problems with iOS devices. Firmware updates often fixed this.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the wireless encryption method you are using. Again, as with twerppoet above, I know all your other stuff works perfectly well, but changing the encryption being used can often solve the problems, as IOS devices can be pernickety, and sometimes just one device of many IOS devices on a network can have problems.

OP
Z

zombie.vixen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn...I just noticed how old that was. My iPad is a MC349C. Not only did I reset the router but when that failed to help I had my provider replaced it with a new one. This happened a lot when I first got it. Sluggish response and the inevitable "server not responding" message. It seemed to clear up for awhile but for the last six months or so it's been impossible. I have no idea about encryption but it says my version is 4.2.1.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn...I just noticed how old that was. My iPad is a MC349C. Not only did I reset the router but when that failed to help I had my provider replaced it with a new one. This happened a lot when I first got it. Sluggish response and the inevitable "server not responding" message. It seemed to clear up for awhile but for the last six months or so it's been impossible. I have no idea about encryption but it says my version is 4.2.1.

What generation is your iPad - an iPad1, iPad2 or iPad3?

And, when you say that your version is 4.2.1, do you mean that this is the iOS version your iPad is running? Cause, if that's the case, then yes, it will probably be laggy as that's an old iOS version. Depending on your iPad generation, the newest iOS is 5.1.1 (for the iPad1) or iOS 6 (for the other two versions). So, if you're on iOS 4.2.1, may I suggest you upgrade to the most recent iOS...?

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure your router has IP6 enabled. Apparently the iPad 2 and 3 need IP6. Some older routers don't support it, and it's causing problems. Or that's what I'm taking away from this article. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/92500-ios-6-wifi-connectivity-article.html#post685283

If you don't know how/what to do, try contacting your ISP and point them at this article. It may help.

From what I can tell, the router needs to support and have IP6 turned on, but the local wi-fi network can still be IP4 (as mine is).

OP
Z

zombie.vixen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll try anything at this point. Pretty sure its the first one. Purchased in March 2011. I have no clue how to upgrade. Can you suggest a link?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's probably the iPad 2. March 2011 is when they were hitting the shelves.

Here's a list of model number. You can try reading the faint text on the back of the iPad, or go to Settings > General > About to see what yours is.

* A1219 - iPad Wi-Fi (Original)
* A1337 - iPad Wi-Fi/3G/GPS (Original)

* A1395 - iPad 2 (Wi-Fi Only)
* A1396 - iPad 2 (Wi-Fi/GSM/GPS)
* A1397 - iPad 2 (Wi-Fi/CDMA/GPS)
* A1395 - iPad 2 (Wi-Fi Only, iPad2,4)

* A1416 - iPad 3rd Gen (Wi-Fi Only)
* A1430 - iPad 3rd Gen (Wi-Fi/Cellular AT&T/GPS)
* A1403 - iPad 3rd Gen (Wi-Fi/Cellular Verizon/GPS)

Edit: Oops, copy paste from the web inserted some extra numbers. Let's try again

Edit Again. I was wrong. This number does not show up in the About area. Just on the back of the iPad. Sorry.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad model does show up in the Settings app (you just didn't go far enough, twerppoet). The route is to go to General in the Settings app, then press on About, then press Regulatory (at the bottom of the About page). The model number is listed there.

Once you find out what version of iPad you have q we can help you through the upgrade to get to the most current iOS.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad model does show up in the Settings app (you just didn't go far enough, twerppoet). The route is to go to General in the Settings app, then press on About, then press Regulatory (at the bottom of the About page). The model number is listed there.

Marilyn

Thanks. It never occurred to me to look under the Legal information.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Thanks. It never occurred to me to look under the Legal information.

It never occurred to me before, either.;)

Last edited:
OP
Z

zombie.vixen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was shockingly easy. I didn't have time to mess with the upgrade but did try Twerppoets suggestion to shut off power to the router and use the settings menu to reset all networks AND IT WORKED!!!!!! Thanks a million. You have no clue how much time I've wasted. Btw my model is a 1337 Marilyn thanks for your help. I will definitely update my iOS when I have time to plug into itunes from my desktop.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hurray! Glad you got it sorted.

And, while I'd love to be thought well of for knowing where the model number was, I must confess that I used the "all-knowing" and "all-powerful" source: the Google. TBH - it's my primary go-to (well, that, and experimenting on the iPad itself). And now you know one of my main secrets. Shhhh, don't tell anyone. :)

Zombie.vixen: Holler back if you run into any issues when you get around to upgrading. For now - enjoy your iPad. I'm happy it's better.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts