What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Slingplayer app released - for Pro-HD and Solo models

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally!
Doesn't work with the Slingbox Pro. Only with the Pro-HD and Solo models

I don't have a slingbox and was waiting for the app to be released.

Those that gave a one star rating have the Pro box and obviously were disapointed. Those with Pro-HD boxes gave the app a five star rating.

I'd like some feedback about the usage over 3G (the app description does say it works over 3G).
Does it work well, or do you need to find a wifi connection to get smooth iPad res video quality?

Thanks

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it works really well over 3G the quality is amazing compare to the iPhone version that was on my iPad... I have the pro hd and the solo but now I'm using the pro hd via coaxial cable sd... I can only imagine better results with a hd source...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It works fine...no additional features at all so really not worth the $30 upgrade price, but they are a monopoly, so they can abuse it.

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the feature is it's optimize for the iPad.... try the iPhone one on the iPad and you will see how it sucks a**... yes of course no major feature but they can always update the app to support new features....

OP
S

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so Ibought the slingbox pro hd and just finished installing it.
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, I used composite and component cables
Picture quality on the ipad, from best to worse:
1-wifi over component - pretty nice
2-3G over component
3-composite...over 3G or wifi - both pretty low picture quality

This is going to be fun, I'm going to enjoy this

TFarmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
StefX,

I'm using SlingBog Pro-HD and using SlingLink to connect my TV source with my Internet source through the wiring in my Home. I use it via WiFi (don't have 3G) adn am getting HD quality picture. I rate it so far at a 4++. The only drawback is it should have been able to give you a diagram of your remote control to control the Pic and DVR. With that it would be a 5+.

OP
S

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to see the actual bitrate like you can in the desktop app?

Also, for the remote functions...yeah I wish they did like the desktop app
So far, however, I have found any function I have needed in the "misc" tab

mbradeis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so mad about this! I waited and waited and now it will not work with the Pro! I don't understand why the Pro will work with iPhone app on the iPad but not the iPad app?

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works with the 922 - yay! Kind of yay, anyway

I'm pleased and surprised that the app works with the Dish 922 receiver. I had my doubts, but it really seems to work ok. MY problem, however, is that my DSL service can't meet the minum 500 kbs UPload speed - mine tops out at about 380 - so I get stuttering in the playback. Even when I use their web application I get stuttering.

AT8T doesn't have their U-verse fiberoptic coverage in my area (it's two blocks over, but not in my area of LA), and Verizon isn't in my city at all... grrrr... Been waiting for over a year for AT&T to get their act together, and have pretty much lost hope - I think my only option is to go with Time-warner Cable - which seems silly when I have Dish for tv...

So... mostly sort of happy, but it isn't the iPad's or Sling's or even Dish's fault. It actually does work fine on my own network at home - so I can watch tv outside if I want - just not off the network.

Larry

rick78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Major disapointment

I own two Slings, a Pro and an AV, both blocked in the app from connecting. Everytime a post to Slings forum is placed their mods delete. I have been so happy for my Slings, which are placed in the US, while I am in Europe, However, this latest scam will cause me to never recommend them again. If the Sling logic held true, then my new laptop with Full HD should not be allowed to connect either, but it actually does. Take a look thru the discussions to see all the probelems they are having with this HD, before you invest in this.Most people are not seeing any HD video at all. Most people do not have the upstream bandwidth to stream HD either. It seems like a scam to get people to purchase a new disposable peace of hardware that will be obsolete as soon as a new fancy device, like the IPAD comes out.
Yes I am disappointed, because I was looking forward to this app for a while now.

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I "returned" the Sling app when Dish came out with their own...

As soon as I bought the Sling app, which WASN'T as supporting my 922 Sling receiver, but seemed to work anyway - Dish came out with one specifically for the 922. It works well, but I STILL can't watch it on my iPad off the network (that is, when I'm away from my house). I can watch it on my iPad at home... but, um, I COULD JUST WALK IN THE OTHER ROOM AND WATCH IT ON TV!!!!

I think/hope it has to do with my upload speed. 380k isn't going to cut it, and I can't get anywhere with AT&T on their Uverse fiberoptic. I found out that two houses on either side of me have it, but it skips over me. I think it's because I don't want their TV - just internet and phone. Grrrr... :mad:

Anyway, still can't Sling - but I think it's my upload speed.

Larry

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting update to Slingbox

For a different look at this Sling-iPad issue I suggest one look at my earlier post "Marriage made in Heaven." I cannot imagine getting better picture quality than I get over wifi at my home, or over the Net on the road.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Sling Solo and use it on my blackberry all the time. It would be nice on my iPad but I am not going to pay 30 more dollars for the app.

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an old Slingbox AV that I have been using. Works great for Ipod and computers. I am glad I read reviews of the Ipad app before wasting my money on it. I also have an Apple TV2 but am looking for an alternative method that does not require me to buy both a device and app.

Update: I reinstalled my AV and will continue to use it for the kids Ipod's as I already own the software for Ipod and Droid, but I am not so sure I want to shell out more money just to get it on my Ipad when I already have Netflix. Also reading about capacitor issues with the newer models too!

Further update: Installed the Ipod app I already owned on my Ipad. Works fine. Is not HD, but set in 2x mode, it is decent and saves a chunk of money.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts