The iPad App Store is full of phony ratings and flame wars

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Howard9999, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Howard9999

Howard9999
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you

Thank you so much. And you're not my sock puppet, are you? *winks*

My review of that MAVRO app has now risen from the bottom to the top of the pile as Most Helpful when you browse the App Store.

I bought a bunch of Spanish learning apps, including ones intended for children. I was appalled at the number that contained incorrect spellings in both Spanish and English.

Apple is trying so hard to keep the App Store family friendly. What about parents and teachers who want their children to learn from apps that contain correct spelling, grammar, and usage? It could be nice if the App Store helps to break the monopoly of large textbook companies, but what parent or teacher wants their children to learn from freelance app developers who butcher the English or Spanish languages?

I am a semi-retired, former Apple employee who has plenty of money to buy apps and plenty of time to review them. I've also worked as a teacher, a writer, and an editor. I'm going to start reviewing educational apps, and if I find bad spelling, punctuation, grammar, or usage, I am going to give excoriating reviews to the apps. That goes for mistakes in content as well.

2. drwinston001

drwinston001
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    the simple way to solve this would be for Apple to do what Android does. If you pay for an app you don't get charged until 24 hours later. If in that time you have deleted it from your device you don't get charged for it. It remembers what you have and haven't downloaded before so you can't download an app, use it, delete it, then re-download it and delete it etc without being charged.

It's a very simple thing for Apple to implement and the fact they haven't shows a complete lack in care for consumers in the app store.

3. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I've submitted a couple of reviews in the last 48hrs and have noticed they go through some kind of "review" process. Do they just computer scans for bad language or something?

4. newfmp3

newfmp3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I feel the entire structure of the app store is designed to rip people off. There are no demos or try before you buy apps. Only a few developers have their lite version of their software when it should be mandatory across the line. It's like apple purposely has it structured in such a way where they are relying on the consumer to impulse buy a bunch of apps - and who cares if you lose say 2.99 on a garbage app? Who is really going to go and demand their 2.99 back right?

This is my first Apple product, and I love my iPad so far, but I despise several things about it, iTunes and the rip off that is the apple app store.

Don't get me started on the apps that should be free anyways, apps like vnc that are free on pc, or being forced to buy things to open functions like upnp media that should have been included on iPad in the first place.

5. Howard9999

Howard9999
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    newfmp3,

I'm probably a generation older than you, because I remember when application software cost hundreds of dollars and did almost nothing. My first Macintosh was the beige 512K Fat Mac, which could run a simple word processor and a paint program together if you were good at swapping out 400K floppy disks.

Seriously, the app store is full of apps that cost almost nothing and why should you be so angry that some of them do almost nothing too? The problem with try before you buy is that many of them are only meant to be used once, like a glass of beer. You can no longer buy a decent used paperback for $2.99. What do you really expect ... that app developers should work for nothing. Most of them do it as a hobby, and they don't really make much money.

I am buying apps and reviewing them as a hobby. I don't mind doing so. I won't be around very much for the next month, because I am going to be traveling with an iPad as my map and guidebook.

People complain about $2.99 as the standard cost of a map, when a paper map costs 10 Euros, and is impossible to find when you need it. Paper doesn't stay up to date either.

Howard9999

6. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yip, you shouldn't feel outrage at paying a couple of "whatever" for an app. Page for iPad costs £5.99 in the UK and I think that is an absolute bargain. There are lots of other apps out there from small developers that are great with a small amount of money. The problem is that many reviewers are morons, the App store dosent seem to check the reviews or follow up on them - which I accept is a difficult task seeing as it would be so massive.

7. Spiritinthesky

Spiritinthesky
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I find that with all ratings, you learn to spot the nutters.

8. Ultrimate

Ultrimate
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    "The iPad App Store is full of phony ratings and flame wars"

Good, I will feel right at home then, lol

9. Howard9999

Howard9999
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    MAVRO came back with his sock puppets!

I looked again, and my negative review of this app, which briefly was rated Most Helpful only two days ago, is now down at the very end of the list. It is suddenly the least helpful?

In front of my rating are the following reviews:

1. The most awesome medical app (5 stars)
    by JimGary&Partners

2. Nothing short of AWESOME (5 stars)
    by JayMD2009

3. Ingenious app! (5 stars)
    by Albi_Resp-Tech

4. Howard9999 is an idiot (5 stars)
    by Dr Edwards (UTSW)

5. Very useful (5 stars)
    by Paramedic Steve

6. *****Top APP*** (5 stars)
    by NickParamedic

7. Amazed (5 stars)
    by Nikoli Cyr

10. delabeaux

delabeaux
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    What medical spanish app would you recommend then?

Please help!