What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pre-Purchase Questions

leeave96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I'm looking for a tablet for different reasons than most folks I know and am considering the iPad2.

A lot of folks tell me to avoid the Apple stuff and that Android tablets are much better, but it seems to me that there are a gizzion apps for the iPad and I gather it out sells the Android tablets, so it can't be all bad.

Here's what I want to do with a tablet:

1. I'd like to use it as a notebook for work - to take notes in regards to vendor contacts, general notes to remember at a later date, misc info - sort of like a repository of info that up to now I have hand scribbled into notebooks - paper notebooks that over the years are scattered. I should think a tablet full of searchable info (something as simple as a word type doc that I can do a word search on would suffice) on a single device vs a pile of paper notebooks would be desirable.

2. Simple calculations via spreadsheets that I can save and use over and over again.

3. Of course web surfing.

4. PDF download capability and printing.

5. Printing to older printers via USB port.

6. Tethering to my Blackberry Curve when wi-fi is not available.

7. Upload and download files from my PC to the iPad and vise-versa.

My question is - can I do all of the above with the iPad2 (or even the iPad1)?

Any tips, suggestions and advice would be most appriciated.

Thanks!
Bill​

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK - I'm looking for a tablet for different reasons than most folks I know and am considering the iPad2.

A lot of folks tell me to avoid the Apple stuff and that Android tablets are much better, but it seems to me that there are a gizzion apps for the iPad and I gather it out sells the Android tablets, so it can't be all bad.

1. I'd like to use it as a notebook for work - to take notes in regards to vendor contacts, general notes to remember at a later date, misc info - sort of like a repository of info that up to now I have hand scribbled into notebooks - paper notebooks that over the years are scattered. I should think a tablet full of searchable info (something as simple as a word type doc that I can do a word search on would suffice) on a single device vs a pile of paper notebooks would be desirable.

2. Simple calculations via spreadsheets that I can save and use over and over again.

Thanks!
Bill​

1, 2, 3 and 4 with some printing limitations are exceptional on the iPad

5 - You cannot attach your iPad to any physical printers. Printing options exist for printing wirelessly to printers attached to a computer, but not directly to your iPad.

6 - tethering is not possible via a physical connection, only via wifi so you need to be able to create a personal hot spot with your bb

7 - numerous options exist here. Dropbox is my favorite

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
leeave96 said:

Thanks!
Bill

1- Many apps exist for taking notes, even with OCR...
2- Numbers is great at this
3- Safari is the browser. Works really well. Beware, plugins like java and flash are not supported
4- yep, GoodReader is an amazing app to manage PDF and annotate them
5- only via wifi it is possible. A driver has to be installed on your PC so your printer will be visible. Unless you get an AirPrint printer.
6- tethering can be done via wifi with a hotspot on your phone or via Bluetooth... Don't know if it works with the curve...
7- GoodReader again is great at that. You can do it over wifi or via USB (with ITunes...)

If you're thinking of using the iPad like a laptop, you may be disappointed on some aspect. But there are some many benefits that those small workarounds are not that inconvenient...

VicoPad addict!

Johnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app that can help you with 1, 3, 4 5 & 7

Thanks!
Bill​

I just commented on another thread about an app I just found that can help you with questions 1, 3, 4, 5 & 7 and it is called Print n Share Pro

Here is what I have found it does

1) It has notes that you can file into folders or sort by name

3) Has a web browser that is actually better than Safari, it has tabs and rememberers passwords that Safari doesn't offer to save

4) You can download, open & print and also even create PDF's

5) I have it set up with my ancient Epson that is USB only, they have a free agent that runs on your PC and is completely seamless

7) I have so far found two ways to transfer from/to PC completely wirelessly but I see in their help there are other ways too

It is a great app and a total all rounder, in my other post I was talking about the multiple user capability which means you can share an iPad but each can have their own email and docs etc. Here is a link iPad Printing - The best app for personal use with multi-user private email, file storage, vast print options and support for ALL printers.

freescopesdad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am confused on this issue. I went to EuroSmartz website and read through their information, but still don't quite understand if PrintnSharePro requires the WePrint applet installed on any destination printer. Here is my situation... Say I am travelling and want to print to a local printer attached to a public computer in a hotel lobby or business center. This computer may (or may not) be attached to the hotel's wifi network. Is there anything out there that will work? I don't want to lug around another piece of equipment (ie small printer) as that is why I bought the iPad2 in the first place. Thanks.
Ron

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Say I am travelling and want to print to a local printer attached to a public computer in a hotel lobby or business center. This computer may (or may not) be attached to the hotel's wifi network. Is there anything out there that will work? I don't want to lug around another piece of equipment (ie small printer) as that is why I bought the iPad2 in the first place.

I don't know whether there is a way to go directly from iPad to printer in this case (not attached to hotel wifi), but I would expect that there are ways to get around. My first temptation would be to save the file to something like dropbox, then go to the hotel printer, navigate to your dropbox account through a web browser, then print from there.

My understanding is that direct print from iPad is limited to being through local wifi network, and perhaps even limited to certain printer types.

MelvinTopaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Truth be told I've never completely figured out the printing ins and outs myself. That said, it's important to know that you can always email a file you want to print to your email account and downloaded at the computer you want to use.

Most reactions

Latest posts