What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad or macbook?

nibbz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm going to college starting this fall. I have a desktop computer that I've had for a couple years and still runs great. (runs windows vista). I figured I could keep that in my dorm, and instead of getting an macbook get an ipad and have that for when i go to class and such. Thoughts? Opinions? I do want a macbook too, but an ipad is cheaper, and sleeker.

328iGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you already have a PC I would suggest the iPad first for sure.

I have an iMac as well as a Macbook Pro, mostly using the iPad now for general surfing. ;)

OP
N

nibbz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does the ipad work almost like a notebook computer? can I write documents, store them, move them, etc. I wanna be able to do all my school work on it.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both,,,,There is a purpose for having both. iPad is good for 'on the go' stuff but IMO the MacBook is a must (because it's a lot easier and faster) when inputting lots of data, letters or numbers...but if you're on a tight budget (more then likely since your going to college) then the iPad would be my preference if i had another computer.

sedonakathy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad or Macbook

Your concerns were mine before I bought the iPad 3g 32gb. I travel and I do presentations so I also purchased the presentation cord. But, after receiving my iPad, I realized that I needed keynote ($9.99) and pages ($9.99). My question was how do I transfer the files. I'm told that the easiest way is also to have a macbook, or one of the other apple offerings. I'm working on finding a used one. Traveling with my iPad is awesome. You can take it anywhere! Just going to lunch and reading email and articles is one of the best parts. I also purchased the wireless keyboard and the cover. I posted on my website at how2arizona.com ... it was love at first sight!

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your concerns were mine before I bought the iPad 3g 32gb. I travel and I do presentations so I also purchased the presentation cord. But, after receiving my iPad, I realized that I needed keynote ($9.99) and pages ($9.99). My question was how do I transfer the files. I'm told that the easiest way is also to have a macbook, or one of the other apple offerings. I'm working on finding a used one. Traveling with my iPad is awesome. You can take it anywhere! Just going to lunch and reading email and articles is one of the best parts. I also purchased the wireless keyboard and the cover. I posted on my website at how2arizona.com ... it was love at first sight!

There are several Apps that make it easier for you to upload/download files from your iPad. I use www.iwork.com it's free and simple. I havent tried the others only because im use to using iwork. I use the pages and numbers a lot but on large projects i resort to the MacBook. I probably should get the keyboard for the iPad, i sounds like many are happy with it. The iPad is pretty darn close to serving all needs.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd say for college, a Macbook would be better than an iPad. Plus, isn't there a student price for Macbooks? No such discounts for iPads.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
iPad can be great for doing simple things and to have with you at all times for looking things up on the web. But I would go with an actual computer for doing most of your college work. If your OK doing most of your college work at home on a normal PC than get an iPad if not I would say to go with the MacBook for now and save up to get the second generation iPad next year.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Laptop PC or Macbook. Love my iPad, but for the main machine for school...... Not so much. But.... IF the bulk of school work will be done on the desktop, then the iPad will be okay..... You just need tonged Documents to Go app so you can work in Word and Excelmon the go and use Dropbox to gave it on the desktop...

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad can be great for doing simple things and to have with you at all times for looking things up on the web. But I would go with an actual computer for doing most of your college work. If your OK doing most of your college work at home on a normal PC than get an iPad if not I would say to go with the MacBook for now and save up to get the second generation iPad next year.
I think I agree with this..I have a Macbook as well as an iPad,and when I pursue my Rn to Msn in the winter, the Macbook will do most of the work. The iPad is more for fun, although I've been finding some great nursing/medical apps for it.

orisonmarden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it depends what kind of subject do u take in college , if u are electrical or information syatem student who often declaring war with C++, cocoa or .net , i think macbook will fit u. a pc is not enough if u stay all night in labs doing programming stuff.

SallySparrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it depends what kind of subject do u take in college , if u are electrical or information syatem student who often declaring war with C++, cocoa or .net , i think macbook will fit u. a pc is not enough if u stay all night in labs doing programming stuff.

I second this. I have both, and if I had to choose it would be hard to do it, but I'd go with the macbook. My coursework had a heavy programming load though.

What's your budget like? If you're a bit flexible you could probably find a slightly older macbook model with a good discount at your local Microcenter or Fry's, and squeeze in the iPad too.

Another option: Sell your desktop, go all mac. This is what I did, and I have yet to regret it.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are really talking about two completely different animals here. The Ipad is not a heavy duty computer. If you are talking about using the Ipad in class to take notes and browse the occasional site, then it is perfect. You could probably get some of your books in E format. I you need to write papers while in class or do some real computing while away from your desktop, get the macbook.

If I were in your shoes, I would upgrade the desktop computer to Windows 7, and get an Ipad. On the Ipad I would install a third party note/word processing app such as Docs to go. The third party apps will resolve almost all of the transferring problems encountered on the Apple products. I would then get a Google doc account so that I can sync documents with my desktop with ease.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I go to school and between my desktop phone and iPad i believe it is more than enough

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with most of the comments on here.

If you are going to use it to enter data, write reports and the like, then you need a Macbook. But if you are going to do most of your work on the desktop in your dorm room, and only use it to take notes and look up information, then the iPad would be fine.

When I was in college, (laptops didn't exist, heck desktops didn't exist at the time) I found myself doing homework in all types of different places - it was the only way to balance a social life with schoolwork. In todays world I am sure that means you need a laptop.

Most reactions

Latest posts