What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's better for college? iPad or Macbook

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me my opinion on what they thought would be better for college. I had a macBook in college and I'm pretty sure I would have been in a tough spot if all I had was an iPad. However, the support and technology the newer iPads have, along will the newer apps gets me thinking that I could probably do most everything on the iPad, with added portability.

What do you guys think?

cereal killer

Administrator
Reaction score
I really think its personal preference but its a great question. For me I'd recommend the iPad just based on it's simplicity (tablet) No physical keyboard and very portable. Tablets are just less intrusive for lack of a better word

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
I think it also depends on what classes you are taking. There will be some instances in which you can get more robust software on the macbook than on the iPad, and/or it is simply easier to use some types of software on the macbook. One example is doing image editing and 3D rendering... neither of which is very handy on an iPad.

You may need both depending on your degree...

OP
DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah now that I think about it, I took some Computer Science classes that required the use of some software. I could have also just gone to the lab room where they had great computers with the software already installed, but sometimes it was nice to be able to work from home. I dunno. If I only had an iPad, though, I still would have been able to keep up, but I would have had to stay at campus for some late nights.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're studying video production, the video editing software available for the MacBook Pro is far better than anything available for the iPad. Plus, a 13" or 15" retina display offers a far better screen for doing video editing.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think dexterity and patience have a bit to do with making the choice.. Some people can edit video and picture files on a regular sized iPhone without blinking an eye. That would drive me absolutely crazy.. Even on a full sized iPad. I NEED a keyboard and a mouse for stuff like that. :)

I'd definitely go with the MacBook.

Most reactions

Latest posts