What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad or computer?

iclueless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, please excuse my techno-ignorance, i'm looking for a weapon to surf tinternet, however would like to store some music, is the ipad for me? do i need a pc also, (for music transfer) in which case the ipad would be a complete waste of money(expensive toy). currently pc-less, weighing up all options, (also have x box, but not gaming fanatic)
all help, greatly appreciated!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although technically you need a PC to initialise the iPad, the Apple Store will do this for you if you don't have a PC. From then on, you can download music, apps, movies etc directly to your iPad using either WiFi or 3G. There is no further absolute need for a PC - if you're prepared to risk not having a backup. Having said that, though, even if your iPad lost everything you can still re-download all your apps again at no charge - but Apple will charge again for movies and music.

Having said that, I'd had my iPad for about 8 months now and never connected it to a PC except on that first day. In fact, during all my time at iPad Forum, I've never come across a case of a user who lost all their apps, music or movies - except when they were trying to backup!!! That iTunes backup software is a real pain and we get more queries of iPad Forum about synchronising iPads with PCs than anything else. So, if you don't have a PC, it's not an issue but get the Apple Store to initialise your iPad before you leave.

Tim

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well w/ the current software on the iPad2 (i.e. iOS 4.x), the device needs to be activated by plugging into a computer w/ the iTunes program - backup and sync occurs. Also for Wi-Fi communication you'll need to have a 'wireless' signal for connection (e.g. retrieving e-mail, browsing the web, etc.).

Now there may be some changes in the near future w/ the introduction of iOS 5 - The 5 Best Features in Apple's IOS 5 | PCWorld Business Center

But being able to 'back up' your iPad is a crucial feature of connecting to iTunes on a computer - but possibly iCloud will help solve that issue - a lot new coming in the future but when? Good luck - :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Although technically you need a PC to initialise the iPad, the Apple Store will do this for you if you don't have a PC. From then on, you can download music, apps, movies etc directly to your iPad using either WiFi or 3G. There is no further absolute need for a PC - if you're prepared to risk not having a backup.............

Having said that, I'd had my iPad for about 8 months now and never connected it to a PC except on that first day. In fact, during all my time at iPad Forum, I've never come across a case of a user who lost all their apps, music or movies - except when they were trying to backup!!! That iTunes backup software is a real pain and we get more queries of iPad Forum about synchronising iPads with PCs than anything else. So, if you don't have a PC, it's not an issue but get the Apple Store to initialise your iPad before you leave.

Tim - thanks for the additional information & clarification - backup was the main reason that I could see for having a computer but in all honesty I've also been avoiding hooking up my iPod & iPad2 to my computer w/ iTunes - the software is just confusing to me w/ 2 devices to sync, esp. when I don't want each to have the identical apps or information! Dave :)

OP
I

iclueless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the info, already have a wireless connection for xbox, and wii, will get round to buying a new pc eventually but not in a hurry, especially if i can utilise the ipad for same, basically surfing the net,although would kill 2 birds by using for music and save the hassle of buying an ipod to connect to home system as seems to be the way nowadays.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPad will work for you, I had mine for 6 months before I bought a computer (which I really only use to get songs into my iPod Nano). The iPad streams music to my home speakers (bluetooth), and the Nano stays in the car (although the iPad does work in the Nano's car connection). Right now the iPad holds my entire music library.

Last edited:

tanyaroxas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest ipad.. You can download music, movies etc via wifi so you won't nee pc.

Reaction score
thanks for the info, already have a wireless connection for xbox, and wii, will get round to buying a new pc eventually but not in a hurry, especially if i can utilise the ipad for same, basically surfing the net,although would kill 2 birds by using for music and save the hassle of buying an ipod to connect to home system as seems to be the way nowadays.

Be aware if you need any surfing using Flash , the iPad does not support it natively. There are some apps that domain adequate job but nothing spectacular.
Fwiw, my desktop is mostly a data repository only now but I do still use a desktop manipulation app to use it from my iPad as needed/wanted.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

MJS395

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having an ipad for the basic things like, music, surfing the web and apps like pages and angry birds you should be fine, even though you would need a computer with the innital setup, after that you can basically be computer free with the exception of updates and adding new content which isnt that bad. And as a bonus with the upcoming release of ios 5 you can be computer free with the software updates right on your divice. In a nutshell the ipad is good at what its made for and if those things suite you then the ipad is the right choice

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MJS395 said:
Having an ipad for the basic things like, music, surfing the web and apps like pages and angry birds you should be fine, even though you would need a computer with the innital setup, after that you can basically be computer free with the exception of updates and adding new content which isnt that bad. And as a bonus with the upcoming release of ios 5 you can be computer free with the software updates right on your divice. In a nutshell the ipad is good at what its made for and if those things suite you then the ipad is the right choice

Actually if bought in an apple store they will set it up for you......so no need for a computer in that case.

The Archangel

MJS395

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How? Do you have ios5? because you have to do the inital data transfer and itunes configuration

Most reactions

Latest posts