What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad movie conversion question -

AZsteelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I've got over 200 movies ripped from DVD and all are mp4 format. I have been watching them on my Xoom with no problem, but when I try to import them into the iTunes library, they don't import. I get an error that says something like it's not a known format or something. What am I missing here? I 'm trying to put them on my iPad 3 32gb with plenty of available space.

Thanks for any help I can get. I've got a trip coming up and I'd like to get some movies on here!

Randy

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm mp4 is compatible with the iPad. Just for giggles, change the extension on one of the movies to .m4v and see if that will import.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the best fit, you might try using HandBrake, a free program which will convert videos into various formats. You can convert the videos in the iPad optimized format. Other formats which I use are H.264, and AppleTV optimized. The mp4 format is not always compatible, there are some nuances which need to be considered.

Here is something to consider:

iPad 3-supported MP4 and MPEG-4 video files with requirements
H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
The iPad 3 cannot recognize MP4 and MPEG4 files if your files don't match above requirements.

OP
AZsteelman

AZsteelman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Seadog - I'm doing the conversion of all of them in iTunes now...Its gonna take a while, but oh well.

Most reactions