What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Software to xfer video/movies from WinPc to Ipad ?

pclaptop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A female friend just got an IPAD

I said I would find a way to xfer my d/led movies to her Ipad.

One thing to consider is that that Ipad seems to like MP4 video. So I'll need to convert all of my *.avi, *.mkv, and *.wmv movies and convert them to *.mp4 format before moving them over.

It seems as though Media Buddy would/will be best as it does two jobs, converts any video to mp4 format(the ONE that Ipad prefers) AND xfers it over to the Ipad!

I think Media Buddy will be the way to go if I can find it!

Alot of people, Apple folk and others, said/say use Itunes.

I ok d/led Itunes and installed it. Itunes ONLY recognises mp4 video/movies and although Windows 7 Home Premium sees the Ipad, the Itunes I installed does not!

Ok So I've got to convert the movie file but then how/where in Itunes do I xfer the files over?

So how do I get Itunes FIRST to recognize my friends Ipad AND then how do I xfer the movies? What/Where/Which Ipad button on which Ipad menu does the xfer?

Obviously I don't have Apple logo tattooed to my butt. i.e. I am illiterate when it comes to Apple computers, pads, pod, etc.

I thought an Apple pad was for a Bleeding Macintosh!! 8^)

Any other suggestions?

thanks chris

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) don't connect her iPad to your computer with your Itunes. iTunes will wreck havoc on her iPad. You cannot help her by using your machine on her iPad.

2) There are apps that don't cost that much (like AVPlayerHD) that will play many types of formats on the iPad. They will also give you wireless transfer, so you can void itunes.

3) iPad works just fine on Windows machines. Has nothing to do with Apple this, Apple that.

4) I don't want to lecture you. It sounds as if you might be doing some illegal stuff here, but I'm not sure you are, but just wanted to alert you. Illegal activities aren't allowed to be discussed in these forums.

5) There are a ton of threads on here discussing this stuff. And GIYF. The answer to the iTunes question can be found in two seconds.

OP
P

pclaptop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4) I don't want to lecture you. It sounds as if you might be doing some illegal stuff here, but I'm not sure you are, but just wanted to alert you. Illegal activities aren't allowed to be discussed in these forums.

I didn't realize I was crossing an illegal boundary, all i wanted to do (what she would like) is to see movies that I have on my win7 pc on her Ipad?

I didn't realize that xferring those movies(if possible) was illegal?

1) don't connect her iPad to your computer with your Itunes. iTunes will wreck havoc on her iPad. You cannot help her by using your machine on her iPad.

So there is no way to xfer those movies over to her ipad?

thanks for reply though

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It might not be illegal. If they are home movies then its not. If you are talking about some commerical content, then yes. She can purchase her own movies or rip her own DVDs (some say this is illegal too).

I didn't say there was no way...and I tried to tell you the various ways. Google tells you how in about 2 seconds.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
pclaptop said:

I didn't realize I was crossing an illegal boundary, all i wanted to do (what she would like) is to see movies that I have on my win7 pc on her Ipad?

didn't realize that xferring those movies(if possible was illegal?)

thanks for reply though

Actually this depends on how you got those movies. If these are your own home made movies it will be OK as well.
However, if you downloaded pirated videos the posession already is illegal, wherever they are stored (iDevice/PC).
Even if you bought that Movie (like you bought the DVD and copied it to your computer), passing on that copy is illegal.

Nowadays DVD's/BR-Discs often come with an iTunes download code so you can have a copy in your iTunes account (or present it to your friend if you don't want/need it yourself...)

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
AQ_OC said:
It might not be illegal. If they are home movies then its not. If you are talking about some commerical content, then yes. She can purchase her own movies or rip her own DVDs (some say this is illegal too).

I didn't say there was no way...and I tried to tell you the various ways. Google tells you how in about 2 seconds.

As far as I know ripping a DVD is not considered illegal as long as you do it ONLY to have one backup copy in case the original storage media goes bust... But we all know this is not the ason why DVd's are ripped, don't we? ;)

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I know ripping a DVD is not considered illegal as long as you do it ONLY to have one backup copy in case the original storage media goes bust... But we all know this is not the ason why DVd's are ripped, don't we? ;)

That is the reason I rip mine. I have never given any of mine away. I would not assume that many rip for their own use. I own a large collection of media...I don't rip all of them, just those that I might want to watch on the iPad (usually older favorites of mine).

OP
P

pclaptop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ah, ok guys some light shed on the situation makes things clearer.

and I did google and most of the answers required Itunes to first recognise the Ipad!

now, Aq_oc you say Itunes for Ipad is not a good idea. . . hmm well then that lets go of most of the google suggestions.

anyway thanks for the input all, oh and btw the movies were ones purchased by "HER" that she wanted to watch on HER Ipad!

If you all have read the bible there is a word there called " begat", as in No begats No begats NO!

so if I say no to copying HER movies over to HER Ipad, there will forsooth be alot of Begatting!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pclaptop said:
ah, ok guys some light shed on the situation makes things clearer.

and I did google and most of the answers required Itunes to first recognise the Ipad!

now, Aq_oc you say Itunes for Ipad is not a good idea. . . hmm well then that lets go of most of the google suggestions.

anyway thanks for the input all, oh and btw the movies were ones purchased by "HER" that she wanted to watch on HER Ipad!

If you all have read the bible there is a word there called " begat", as in No begats No begats NO!

so if I say no to copying HER movies over to HER Ipad, there will forsooth be alot of Begatting!

If they are her movies then use iTunes on her computer to transfer them.

OP
P

pclaptop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they are her movies then use iTunes on her computer to transfer them.

AQ_OC line 7 in my first post states:

I ok d/led Itunes and installed it. . . . and although Windows 7 Home Premium sees the Ipad, the Itunes I installed does not!

So how do i xfer that/those movie files if Itunes does not recognize the apple Ipad when Win7 does?

Also lets assume Ipad did/does recognize the Ipad what is the xfer procedure? just drag and drop?

but as above and WAY above Itunes did not recognise the Ipad!

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you on her computer? Does her computer recognize it with her apple id?

Most reactions