What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini rip off!

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So today I was out and about (here in El Paso TX) and well I went into one of my favorite stores and noticed that they were selling ipad minis white 16 gb for $399, I asked one of the employees what gives and the guy tells me its because there is a shortage of that particular model, what a rip off, this is a store that sells used DVDs, CDs, xboxes, etc.…
He also said that their the only ones currently with white ipad minis 16gb( in town),at that price I could order me a wifi only 32 gb or a 16 gb + cel!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jdelrizzle said:
So today I was out and about (here in El Paso TX) and well I went into one of my favorite stores and noticed that they were selling ipad minis white 16 gb for $399, I asked one of the employees what gives and the guy tells me its because there is a shortage of that particular model, what a rip off, this is a store that sells used DVDs, CDs, xboxes, etc.…
He also said that their the only ones currently with white ipad minis 16gb( in town),at that price I could order me a wifi only 32 gb or a 16 gb + cel!

Is this a new iPad? Apple sets the maximum prices for new iPads, the stores are not free to jack up the prices like that. You might want to let Apple know about that store. If it's a used iPad, the store can do what it wants.

Last edited:

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So don't buy it from him! If he doesn't sell any then the price will come down.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
n4uau said:
So don't buy it from him! If he doesn't sell any then the price will come down.

Exactly what I was thinking, one has to be stupid to pay that overprice in that shop

London, UK

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see overpriced items like iPad and other things all over amazon and eBay. He is probably buying his iPad the same way we do and is tacking on his profit. I say don't buy from him unless you want it now and can't find it elsewhere. There are some people who will be happy to pay his price to get it now. I don't see any reason to report him for this if he is not misrepresenting what he is selling and why. It is not a ripoff if you know what you are buying and why.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good karma said:
Exactly what I was thinking, one has to be stupid to pay that overprice in that shop

London, UK

That depends....others have reported here that these are hard to find in the uk. If that is no longer true, then he will be forced to lower the price. But there are people who would be willing to pay those priced if that is the only way to get it and they are not stupid, they just have a lot of money.

OP
J

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea there brand new ipad minis, it's like my sister in law told me, most people don't know, especially here in El Paso, I've met plenty of computer illiterate folks, and now with this ipad madness all they want is an ipad mini because there neat! I'm sure as hell not going to buy one from them so y'all are right, it doesn't affect me.

OP
J

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64 gb ipad mini with AT&T, and an ipad 3rd gen 32 gb with AT&T as well, just a little bit of FYI, I would never buy a 16gb wifi only anything!lol!

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never buy a 64 GB iPad again(my iPad 1 was 64 GB). I just don't need that much storage-I rotate my apps because I get bored easily, and I never keep all my media on there for the same reason.

Regarding the wifi only models, some people live in areas that have plenty of hotspots, and even if they don't, they can tether the pad to their phone. My sister received a 16 GB wifi only model for Christmas and she loves it. FWIW, that model is still sold out at many stores. The BB near me is really pushing the 64 GB models, because nobody wants them apparently. Personally, I think 64 GB is overkill, but different strokes for different folks,lol:eek:

I wouldn't pay $399 for the base model, but I know people that would. Especially if their kid asked for one for Christmas, and they don't want to disappoint them. It's not like $70 is a huge amount to some people.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would never buy a 64 GB iPad again(my iPad 1 was 64 GB). I just don't need that much storage-I rotate my apps because I get bored easily, and I never keep all my media on there for the same reason.

Regarding the wifi only models, some people live in areas that have plenty of hotspots, and even if they don't, they can tether the pad to their phone. My sister received a 16 GB wifi only model for Christmas and she loves it. FWIW, that model is still sold out at many stores. The BB near me is really pushing the 64 GB models, because nobody wants them apparently. Personally, I think 64 GB is overkill, but different strokes for different folks,lol:eek:

That's why they offer different models, one size doesn't fit all. I think 64 GB is too little! :)

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's why they offer different models, one size doesn't fit all. I think 64 GB is too little! :)
One of my cousins loves movies and keeps all of his favorites on his Ipad. He has a 64 GB so I agree. For him, 64 GB is necessary.

I use mine for light gaming, web browsing and streamed media mostly so I don't need a ton of storage.

OP
J

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I wouldn't pay $399 for the base model, but I know people that would. Especially if their kid asked for one for Christmas, and they don't want to disappoint them. It's not like $70 is a huge amount to some people.

Nobody wants the 64 gb models because most people are to cheap to get one, but I guarantee they would love the extra storage for the same price as the 16 gb base model ipad, the same can be said about the cellular model it's nice to have but most folks just don't want to pay the $$$$

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the money to get the 64 GB..I also have an iPhone 5 and an ipad 4. When I had the 64 GB ipad 1, I barely used half the storage. Why waste money on storage I don't need? That's not being cheap, that's being smart.

There are people that need the 64 GB, no doubt. But, the vast majority of people don't need all that storage or the cellular either. Everyone is not the same. I have a cellular ipad Mini, but I do use that, so it was a good investment for me.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody wants the 64 gb models because most people are to cheap to get one, but I guarantee they would love the extra storage for the same price as the 16 gb base model ipad, the same can be said about the cellular model it's nice to have but most folks just don't want to pay the $$$$

Too cheap?

I don't think that would be the word for most people. The appropriate funds were present, but I based my purchase on need.

OP
J

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok very poor choice of words on my behalf. I had an ipad 16 gb once and I filled that sucker up quick, with nothing but pictures and music, I immediately returned it and got me my 32 gb AT&T ipad 3rd gen. I don't really need my iPads but I'm a fan and I love apple products! But yes as mentioned above there is a different flavor of ipad for everyone. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Most reactions

Latest posts