What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini purchased 5/2013 won't update from i.o.s 9.3.5

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning:
I purchased iPad mini in May 2013 and it is nice and light as far as weight is concerned and I love its size but it will not accept updates. Heard a rumor that there may be an iPad mini 5 but also that the mini may be discontinued. Any suggestions, please. Thank you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If this is the iPad mini 1st generation, it is up to date, and won't receive an update to iOS 10.

The original iPad mini was released in November 2012. It's successor, the iPad mini 2nd generation, was released in November 2013. With your purchase date in May 2013, this has to be the 1st generation of these devices.

Nobody knows for sure whether or not this device will be discontinued completely. We'll have to wait and see what Apple decides.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If this is the iPad mini 1st generation, it is up to date, and won't receive an update to iOS 10.

The original iPad mini was released in November 2012. It's successor, the iPad mini 2nd generation, was released in November 2013. With your purchase date in May 2013, this has to be the 1st generation of these devices.

Nobody knows for sure whether or not this device will be discontinued completely. We'll have to wait and see what Apple decides.

Thank you. I know what I presently have is at its maximum as far as updates go (iOS 9.3.5) but sometimes it is frustrating because when I am writing an email, incorrect words and letters appear. Thanks again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good morning:
I purchased iPad mini in May 2013 and it is nice and light as far as weight is concerned and I love its size but it will not accept updates. Heard a rumor that there may be an iPad mini 5 but also that the mini may be discontinued.

Hello - according to the chart below (Source), the iPad Mini 2 was released in the fall of 2013, so you have the original one; also, you should be able to upgrade to iOS 9.x but not to 10.x. The iPad Mini is likely to be discontinued by Apple, so if you like the 'footprint' (as my wife does), you might consider going to the Mini 4, your choice? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 11.08.56 AM.png

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - according to the chart below (Source), the iPad Mini 2 was released in the fall of 2013, so you have the original one; also, you should be able to upgrade to iOS 9.x but not to 10.x. The iPad Mini is likely to be discontinued by Apple, so if you like the 'footprint' (as my wife does), you might consider going to the Mini 4, your choice? Dave :)
View attachment 77505
This is interesting, thank you. So the iPad mini 4 will only update to iOS 9.0 - is this correct? Will all of Apple's other size iPads have indefinite update capacity? I am a senior and I so appreciate your comments.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is interesting, thank you. So the iPad mini 4 will only update to iOS 9.0 - is this correct? Will all of Apple's other size iPads have indefinite update capacity? I am a senior and I so appreciate your comments.

No not at all - as you see by the chart, the Mini 4 can easily go to iOS 10.x - my wife has that device and I expect no problem taking her Mini 4 or my Air 2 to iOS 11.x, likely to be released this fall. Dave :)

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again. I saw iOS 9 on the chart for the iPad mini 4, and I mistakenly assumed that this was the maximum that it would accept for updates.

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the first ipad mini. Currently, my ipad mini is on IOS 6.1. Can I update the OS to the final version IOS 9.3.5 even though the current IOS is 10 or is it 11 now?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you update an older iPad, it will automatically update to the lastest version of iOS that it is compatible with. So yes, your iPad Mini should update to iOS 9.3.5. Actually, that is you only update choice. You won’t be offered any other versions.

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Good to know that its still possible to upgrade my IOS. I'm such a lazy bum at upgrading OS,so that's why still at 6.1. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts