iPad Mini obsolete already?

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by lecycliste, Oct 23, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The resolution of a retina display is a result of the high pixel count and pixel density of the display, not the scanning rate.
    Could you please quote your source for the information in your post?

#41 scifan57, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Appleipaduser

Appleipaduser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The scanning I refer to is discussed below in a USAToday article:

"With so many pixels comes the opportunity for interference,
    when "signals get crossed and image quality suffers." Apple says that in order
    to make sure that the iPad screen remained crystal clear, its engineers
    "elevated the pixels onto a different plane — separating them from the signals.
    It's technology that's breakthrough. Just like the new iPad itself."

That's Apple's marketing department telling us the magical
    things the company had to do to incorporate a Retina Display.
    "

How Apple got a Retina display on new iPad

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There's nothing in that article about double scanning anything to get the Retina type resolution.

4. lecycliste

lecycliste
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Resolution comes from pixel density, not the scan rate. However, scan rate does have to be faster for more pixels in the same frame. That's because you need to display a full screen or video frame in the same amount of time, regardless of how many pixels there are. Some examples:

720p HD TV has 720 lines of 1280 pixels in each frame, displaying 59.94 frames per second. That becomes a pixel rate of 720 * 1280 * 59.94 = 55.24 Mp/s.

At higher 1080P resolution, each frame has 1080 lines of 1920 pixels, and again 59.94 frames display every second. This is a pixel rate of 1080 * 1920 * 59.94 = 124.29 Mp/s.

So 1080p requires 2.25 times the pixel scan rate of 720p.

Similarly, the iPhone 4S with 860 x 640 pixels per frame requires 4 times the pixel scan rate of the iPhone 3GS, which has 480 x 320 pixels per frame.

So no, screen resolution has nothing to do with pixel scan rate. However, high-resolution screens with higher pixel counts require faster scan rates.

SOURCES:

Resolution and scan rate data for HDTV comes from Wikipedia, via NTSC and ATSC standards. Apple screen resolution is from Zooming in on Apple's high-density Retina displays | Digital Trends.

The calculations and comparisons are from my understanding of analog and digital displays. I designed analog and mixed signal chips for 25 years for National Semiconductor, AMD, PMI / Analog Devices, Micro Linear, and Linear Technology. I hold three patents in analog design, two of them in analog signal synthesis and one in op amp design.

So I know a little bit about this stuff. ;>]

#44 lecycliste, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  5. Appleipaduser

Appleipaduser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Agree! Thanks for the info!

6. Wakawaka

Wakawaka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I love the ipad/iphone toys.

But I'm not one that buys such toys for their full use. I don't need a "life remote" like android seems to try and do. I just need/want something easy to use with email, reading news, weather check, youtube and photos. I'm 26.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I know what you mean. At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself after having watched this and developed device lust for this new model, despite my Galaxy Note original 5" still working well, lol:

The bummer is, there are just enough new features that I could see myself using.

#47 Kaykaykay, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  8. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I just got home from east side Best Buy, here in Fort Wayne. They only had black Mini wifi 32GIG. All the white Minis sold out by 8:30am, when the store opened. I spent a good 30 minutes holding it and opening and closing apps. It is thin, the screen was large the longer sides were closer to the edge than the shorter ends. My hands are pretty average men's hands but I can tell that it is easier to thumb type on it than my larger iPad. A young man walked up as I was looking at it, and he started asking me questions about the Mini. I told him that what I know was from what I've read and the fact that it was a smaller version of the iPad, which I am very familiar. His parents gave him a Kindle Fire for school and it is not meeting his needs for classes. They were going to buy him the iPad but he thought the Mini would be better.

I told him I attend a class at IPFW (Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne University) and I use my iPad for that class and the Mini would be too small for me to use in class. He thought the same too. He attends IPFW as well. He indicated that a lot of students carried tablets to class. Most have iPads because most teachers and their assistants use iPads and it is easier for them to figure out a tech problem on an iPad than on another non-iPad tablet. Since my class only has ten students I think we all use iPads.

I told this student that I was hoping to get a Verizon Mini and use it as a hotspot. Standing by, listening to our conversation was the Best Buy associate and he piped in and said that they have not yet received any Mini 4G models but should be delivered towards the end of November. By then I should have my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 4G tablet. I need to stay far away from Best Buy as it is too tempting to break down and buy the Mini. Thank goodness they didn't have the 4G version or there would have been a serious dent on my credit card!

#48 MattIM, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  9. lecycliste

lecycliste
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Matt, why would an iPad Mini be too small to use in class?

Is it that much tougher to type on, or to see what's displayed with the smaller size?

10. lecycliste

lecycliste
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    When I started this thread, I posted what I thought were built-in obsolescent flaws of the announced iPad Mini. Since then, I've watched posts here and online - pro and con - about the new Mini.

My main beefs still are that the Mini uses obsolete technology in the processor and screen. For a photographer, it lacks sufficient resolution for critical examination of digital photographs. Even worse is that Apple already has access to more advanced processor and screen technology, and uses them in other iPads. That makes me think even more that Apple is using consumer's loyalty to their products to profit from obsolete technology in the 1st generation iPad Mini.

It's OK to make a profit. But my engineering sensibilities tell me to make the best possible product you can with the best available technology and sell it for a fair price.

So I'm following SJ Mercury News columnist Troy Wolverton's advice to hold off until the next generation iPad Mini, which should have the missing features long about next March. I agree with Wolverton - if you don't have a crashing need, you should wait.

I'm more tempted by the refurbished 3rd generation iPad at $379 for 16GB WiFi. That's just $50 more than the obsolete iPad Mini.