iPad Mini obsolete already?

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by lecycliste, Oct 23, 2012.

1. freebirdforever

freebirdforever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I see it being a big contributor in the education market, where the cheaper price point will entice schools. But I also see it as a tool for those who like the iPad, but don't like the large size. The iPad mini can fit in a purse or cargo pocket easily. And I can't tell you how many times a day at work I get the "I LOVE THE IPAD! BUT...wish Apple made a smaller one" remark! Lol.

2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I actually think the size is great. (I was a longtime proponent of a smaller iPad from way back, when naysayers were saying "not a chance," lol.) I just don't want a smaller iPad with old innards, and that's what the mini iPad is. I'd rather pay up to full-size iPad price, except for a mini iPad with the latest technology, not repackaged iPad 2 innards.

And I'm speaking for myself as a buyer; other buyers can look out for themselves.

3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting the mini. All of the upgrades for the iPad 3 went to support the screen other than LTE. The mini has fewer pixels but on a smaller screen. Plus it has facetime HD front camera and 5mp rear camera. It has better WiFi tech and LTE. And the lightning connector. A good mix of old and new tech.

So, if I get the mini can I just swap the Sim from my iPad the to the mini and keep rolling?

4. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    No, according to this comparison chart, the Mini has a nano-sim card and is not compatible with any other iPad card.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I see. then I will drop the cellular option on my iPad 3 and move it to the Mini. It is the more portable device, so it deserves the option. Thanks.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The mini's weight is less than half that of the iPad 4. This is a huge difference in terms of hand holding. I currently try to use my iPad 3 but in stand mode and in my hands, but the weight causes me to put it down after about 15 minutes to grab my GN7.

I note that the mini is about 15mm wider than the GN7 and about 4mm longer. But it weighs 0.69 lbs versus ~.75 lbs for the GN7. I have to admit that the GN7 is a joy to hold but I can't really image how the mini will be in the hand.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:

Surprised you'd compromise on screen quality, because I thought that was a big deal to you.

The additional portability of a mini is nice, but not enough tradeoff for me, especially since I have a Samsung Galaxy Note phablet. Even with a year-old model, I already had a better screen and cameras than the mini will offer, plus LTE and phone. If I were going to upgrade for portability, I'd get the new Note, which is even better than my original Note, and still have SD card support, which I love. But I don't need the upgrade.

I also got to keep my cheap unlimited data when I upgraded my Note from iPhone 4S, which made me happy. With iPad 1 and 2, AT&T allowed grandfathered unlimited customers to migrate to iPad 3. I wonder whether they will do likewise with the switch to mini iPad. I imagine they will with iPad 4, but who knows.

I might get an iPad mini the next time they upgrade it, depending on specs and competing hardware then. I wonder if that will come six months down the road.

For me, if what's offered now are mini iPad and iPad 4, I might as well get iPad 4, with all new innards and screen, especially since the price diffs are negligible between 64GB models.

8. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The screen does matter to me, but I will still have my iPad 3 and I will continue to use that for reading PDFs full of equations and such.

But I use my GN7 without a retina screen on the couch. I don't take it around since it has no cellular. The mini would be easier to carry about.

For me, I can off-load stuff from my iPad 3 onto the mini, so it is like getting extra storage and I can stop fighting with it on my iPad 3.

I am a bit concerned that the mini will be uncomfortable to hold in one hand in portrait mode, though.

I forgot about your Note. With it, the mini is just a tiny bump up. Yes, I think the iPad 4 would be a better option for you. It should feel like a nice jump in power from the iPad 2 and 1. The screen will be a big plus and the extra speed will be felt if you deal with scanned PDFs in high dpi (I have seen the iPad 3 get a bit laggy when doing a lot of zooming in/out in these cases. I hate to admit but I do have some scanned PDFs I use a lot when giving presentations). But the iPad 3 will have to do. I'm not going to upgrade it so soon after buying it.

9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:

Yes, hand fit and weight are important with any mobile device. I hope mini works out as you'd like. A 7" device is great, I've found. I started out about that size with a Kindle e-ink several years ago and liked it from the start, and have been pleased with my Kindle Fire original, too.

I wouldn't upgrade from iPad 3 to 4, either.

I'm debating whether to get iPad 4, because I think 5 will be significantly better (maybe redesigned and lighter to boot), and Apple might pull that out of its hat in six months.

I also have a Kindle Fire HD 10" 64GB on order, and am thinking about getting the MS Surface pro next quarter. That, plus losing the flex of being able to swap my 3G SIM card between my iPad 1 and 2, and use the same chargers as my iPhone and touch, are giving me pause about iPad 4. I think I've talked myself into waiting till next quarter, at which point I will decide whether to get a Surface pro, and maybe there will be credible iPad 5 rumors by then.

10. ipadder474

ipadder474
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I don't think Apples new small tablet will cause any reduction in the Android tablet sales. In fact some who were planing on buying the smaller Apple, will be turned off by it's high of a price. Today price is a BIG deal in the smaller tablet market. Apple feels it can push the price because it's the way it was done back when Apple had the tablet market to themselves. Them days are gone.