What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad locks up...

GrandmaJan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad2 has been locking up in the middle of different apps. It's like it freezes and I either have to shut the cover or sometimes after a minute or so it will just start working again. I have closed out the running apps and try not to have several running at once. I am pretty new to the iPad so it could be something I am doing that I need to stop! :)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Janice

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You didn't say for how long you've owned the iPad, but every now and then, it really needs to have either a restart or a reset. That usually fixes a lot of the iPad's wonky behavior. To do either (or both):

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

In addition, you may want to close out all the apps that are probably built up in the multitasking bar. To do so, double-press the Home button until the screen moves up. Press and hold any app that shows in the bottom until they all start wiggling. There should be an X in the upper left corner of the app (or maybe it's a dash (-), I always forget). Anyway, touching that mark will close the apps out. You're not deleting the app off the iPad, you're just fully shutting it down.

The above steps should help. Please let us know...

Marilyn

P.S. And me with no manners! Welcome to the forum; it's good to "see" you.

OP
G

GrandmaJan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn, Thanks for the suggestions. I do close out the apps in the multitasking bar, and I have restarted but I have not just done a re-set. I have not had it too long.. just since the first part of August. That's why I thought maybe I was doing something incorrect - being a newbie and all. :) It's just frustrating. It just won't do anything when I touch the screen... arrgghh!

Most reactions

Latest posts