What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad in Recovery Mode

betfair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello im complete noob about ipad and this is non-jb ipad1.
connected to my win7 laptop and it asked for update so i started update 10 minutes later thought its done and unplugged the cable..
guess it wasnt finished..
so i cant open ipad now
dont want to restore it and lose everything because tomorrow need to use this ipad as a director monitor on set..
please tell me how to get back everything
i checked itunes preferences and i guess my backup still in there
all i see is itunes logo and cable on screen

tried tinyumbrella and failed..

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so you are not jailbroken and don't need to be, but you have an iTunes backup?
In that case, and not knowing what state it might be in at the moment, you just need to restore again but you must let it finish this time!
Your best move is to put the device into DFU mode. Follow this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html
Then start iTunes and press "restore". This should install 4.3.5 firmware onto the device. When the process is finished the device will reboot and connect automatically to iTunes. At this point it will ask you if you want to set up as new or "restore from backup". You MUST choose "restore from backup" if you want all your settings and data back. The process will then go through 2 stages. First there will be a quick restore which will only take a few minutes. DO NOT DISCONNECT at this point. Let the reboot complete and iTunes will once again take over and sync all your apps and media back onto the device.
After that you should be back to the same point at which you made your last backup.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I stopped a sync once and couldn't sync again until I did a reboot- hold the home button and the sleep button until the apple appears. Don't panic, it may take a short while to restart.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
couldnt restore 3194 error..

That's because you messed about with TinyUmbrella and it changed your hosts file...

Open TU, switch to the advanced tab, and make sure you UNTICK the "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" option. Then exit TU, and start the restore process again. You won't get a 3194 this time.

OP
B

betfair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
couldnt restore 3194 error..

That's because you messed about with TinyUmbrella and it changed your hosts file...

Open TU, switch to the advanced tab, and make sure you UNTICK the "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" option. Then exit TU, and start the restore process again. You won't get a 3194 this time.

yes thanks...restored from backup but nothing from old backup on there..

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch. I thought you seemed confident in your first post that there was a backup? Didn't you ever sync your iPad?
Anyhoo, not much you can do now except reconfigure from scratch. And remember... sync regularly so you have a recent backup! :D

OP
B

betfair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
YES THERE WERE BACKUP..and i restored from backup...whatever
thanks for the help :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
YES THERE WERE BACKUP..and i restored from backup...whatever
thanks for the help :)

OK, you know iTunes stores multiple backups though? You can select one from BEFORE you updated your IOS. You may want to connect your iPad to iTunes, right click the iPad in the left hand column, choose "restore from backup" and choose one from before you originally updated. Check the times and dates. That way you may get your settings back if iTunes stored the backups...

peleus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, try using the iCloud. It's what I use for back up too.

Most reactions

Latest posts